Sick hen

Fabchick01

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2018
I have a hen that i thought was egg bound. She has her tail down. Walking kind of like a penguin- when i picked her up i noticed she has a swollen abdomen- i did stick my finger in to check for an egg but didn’t find one. She seems “clogged up” any insight as to what this could be?

I have a hen that i thought was egg bound. She has her tail down. Walking kind of like a penguin- when i picked her up i noticed she has a swollen abdomen- i did stick my finger in to check for an egg but didn’t find one. She seems “clogged up” any insight as to what this could be?
Do you worm your flock? this may be a serious parasite issue, not too sure on why her abdomen is swollen though, that sounds like she is egg bound. I would soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath just in case. How long has she been like this?

Do you worm your flock? this may be a serious parasite issue, not too sure on why her abdomen is swollen though, that sounds like she is egg bound. I would soak her in a warm Epsom salt bath just in case. How long has she been like this?
I do worm them. Haven’t yet for the spring but they were wormed in the fall. She has been like this for a few days. She’s still eating and walking around. I could not feel an egg in her vent or when i palpated her - she had very little blood and yellow ish poo that came out when i checked her vent. I will bring her inside and soak her. But i don’t think she’s egg bound

I do worm them. Haven’t yet for the spring but they were wormed in the fall. She has been like this for a few days. She’s still eating and walking around. I could not feel an egg in her vent or when i palpated her - she had very little blood and yellow ish poo that came out when i checked her vent. I will bring her inside and soak her. But i don’t think she’s egg bound
@Eggcessive
@Overo Mare
@Wyorp Rock

I had a RIR hen with the same symptoms fluid in the abdomen and walking like a penguin not good . I placed her in a crate and she passed away . Could be caused by many different things . :(

Can you get photos of the poop?
How old is she?

The poop had blood in it?
I would suspect with a swollen abdomen and some blood in the poop that she may have infection, maybe from Salpingitis but it would be hard to know.

If she's not lethargic, then soaking may help if she's got lash material or a soft egg that she needs to pass. It's just a reach, but you could try antibiotics to see if those help. Amoxicillin or Baytril can be ordered online.

What do you normally use to de-worm your flock?

This is the de worker i use

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 3
How old is she?

I would suspect with a swollen abdomen and some blood in the poop that she may have infection, maybe from Salpingitis but it would be hard to know.

If she's not lethargic, then soaking may help if she's got lash material or a soft egg that she needs to pass. It's just a reach, but you could try antibiotics to see if those help. Amoxicillin or Baytril can be ordered online.

How old is she?

Attachments

• 21B3ACA0-37D1-40AE-82B2-6077CFA4EB02.jpeg
    21B3ACA0-37D1-40AE-82B2-6077CFA4EB02.jpeg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom