1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. wifeandmotherof4

wifeandmotherof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Virginia
    I have a 27 week old hen that is sick or at least I think she is. She used to be the first hen to try to get away from us and was the most difficult to get back in the coop before dark. Now she just lays around or stands with her head hanging. We brought her into the house and haven't seen her eating or drinking though she did lay an egg last night or very early this morning. I'm of course hesitant to eat her eggs and worried to put her back out with the other hens. We don't medicate our chickens or vaccinate them... does anyone have any idea what we should do for her or what may be wrong with her?
    Thanks,

2. tricia

tricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    can you get any fluids into her - like water with a little molasses? has she pooped at all?

3. tricia

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
  4. wifeandmotherof4

Jan 26, 2007
    Virginia
    She had a very large loose (watery) poop once this morning. Yesterday she pooped 4 times more solid. We tried pushing her beak into the water hoping she would drink but she hasn't... right now she is standing in the corner of the room and she seems to be trying to sleep but her head keeps dropping and waking her... also she is opening one eye and looking around ... I can't say I've noticed the hens have done that before...she will open the other eye but not as often.

5. wifeandmotherof4

Jan 26, 2007
    Virginia
    TY! I did check that link! My only question on the egg and yogert is how was that prepared? do you cook the egg?
    Lillie

6. tricia

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    did her poo look normal in color? was it red? green?

7. wifeandmotherof4

Jan 26, 2007
    Virginia
    some was clear and some black.

8. tricia

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    I would give her plain yogurt and I dont think it really matters if the egg is cooked or not. How is she doing this evening? Has she taken any fluids? I hope she gets better soon...

9. wifeandmotherof4

Jan 26, 2007
    Virginia
    I added some sugar to her water earlier and a couple hours later she started drinking! She has had a few stools now, they are still watery but not as much as this morning. She is more active tonight though she still tends to keep her left eye closed but in the last hour has opened it more often. I'm gonna try the yogurt now! I'll post tomorrow on how she does!
    Thanks,
    Lillie

10. tricia

Jan 25, 2007
    West Central Wisconsin
    Please do keep us updated. I'm so happy to hear she's picking up a bit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by