sick hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jacmac77, May 25, 2010.

1. Jacmac77

Jacmac77 New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Help!! This morning I went out to check on Chelsea my pet hen and she looks sick. I have recently introduce two new juveniles and changed her feed. Her eggs are white now, and her poop is runny. She is usually a very happy little girl. Help I am new at this.[​IMG] and she sounds like she has a cold....congested!!

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Did you quarantine the new birds before introductions were made? Are they ill? Sometimes new birds can have diseases that they are carrying. They may show little to no signs of being ill, but can spread the disease to any birds that haven't been exposed to it.
    I'd post over in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section of this site. Someone over there may be able to help you out.

Good luck.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OK, here's what I would do with Chelsea....put her into a cage with some straw, food and water. Put some vitamins/electrolites and some sulmet in her drinking water. And if she's really conjested, you can run a vaporizer with vicks on her--it really helps!

I always put mine in a room in the basement if the temperatures are extreme (like super cold or super hot).

Good luck to you and your hen!

Sharon

4. Jacmac77

Jacmac77 New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Thank you Thank you I have her alone now. No I did not quarantine.The new ones are acting ok,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by