Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jacmac77, May 25, 2010.

1. Jacmac77

Jacmac77 New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Chelsea my pet 1 year old hen is sick.[​IMG]

I recently introduced two juveniles next to her coop in a separate coop.

She is sleeping a lot, can't keep eyes open, sounds congested. Will not cluck or "talk" to me.
    Did not get up when I went to cage.

Just recently change her feed from scratch to laying pellets. (didn't know to do that)
    Her eggs changed from brown to white the last two days.
    I have her now inside with food and water. She is drinking and she ate some grapes and eggs. HELP....
    She is an egg layer but also my PET!!!!
    Jac

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't forget to give her grit while she's confined inside. She needs that to digest her food. With so little info and not being able to see her, it's hard to diagnose what might be wrong with her. It could be something as simple as calcium deficiency because she was only getting scratch feed. Were you giving her any oyster shell? Or, it could be a cold/flu. She might need antibiotics. If you can't afford a vet visit for your pet, maybe call your feed store and see if they can give you the name of an experienced chicken raiser in your area that you can consult with. Wishing you and your girl all the best.

3. Jacmac77

Jacmac77 New Egg

May 25, 2010
    Thank you . Yes I am very new at this and did not read up enough.
    I did not give her oyster shells.
    I think she has a little cold. She's not sneezing but sounds congested.
    I love her so much I have made an appt to see a bird dr tomorrow.
    Will do better with all the info I have learned today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by