Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinapmann, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tinapmann

tinapmann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    yesterday when my hens were outdoors, I noticed one that was hunkered down in the dirt, I thought she was sun bathing but then when I looked closely, it looked like she was having difficulty breathing. So I brought her into the coop and isolated her in a small cage and started the heat lamp. She is not touching food or water. Today she is basically in same position, but now is sleeping off and on and has a steady clear runny nose. Suggestions? Oh, it is about 1-1/2 years old and a Rhode Island Red. I live in the Maine so weather is somewhat cold and almost to the point where I will leave all my birds in the coop and open a window for fresh air.

I checked her bum and she does not seem to be egg bound.

**Update** The hen died this morning.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Not sure what to do, but at laest separarte her from the others, keep her warm, provide food and water close to her so she can get to it. Sounds like it my be resipatory, maybe antibiotics or at least some electrolyte solution from the feed store may help give her some strenght to fight it off. Good luck

3. tinapmann

tinapmann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Unfortunately she died this a.m. shortly after I posted my message. I don't know if others have this problem but it is difficult where I live in Maine to find stores which carry stuff for chickens, i.e., antibiotics, wormer, etc., Quite often I have to order stuff on the internet. The stores here in central Maine have the grain, and the general stuff but not stuff for sickness, injuries, etc.,

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Just in case, you might want to scrub down everything she touched (cage, bowls) just to protect your other chickens.

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I'm sorry to hear that:(

6. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    I have had hens that have been acting like that but without the runny nose. Yesterday I put apple cider vinegar in their water in the morning. The worst one seemed to recover almost immediately. Not sure if that was why, but I've read that vinegar can be good for them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by