1. seramasrus

seramasrus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Arden, NC
    I have a sick hen that has a rattle when she breathes and a little cough. She is kepted in a clean cage with sand in the bottom, and fresh food and water daily. Her droppings are a little more runny than normal and sticky to her bottom some. I just wonder if any one might know what it could be or what to do for her. I have her by herself now away from my other chickens. I haven't brought any new birds into my flock since late fall of last year either. I have hadn't had a sick bird before, so have no ideal what she my have.

Thanks
    Randy

2. rooneycrew

rooneycrew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    North Manchester, IN
    Im so sorry your bird is not feeling well. I like to use Tylan injectable(from vet). My vet showed us a great spot under the wing..under the skin to give the shot. But, there is also Tylan powder(from vet) to add to the water if you aren't comfortable with injections. Another med would be stuff from a TSC, or farm store to mix into it's water. But, Im thinking it will need something more fast acting than a water med. Good luck, and wish I could be of more help.

Tanya

3. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor hen!

It sounds like a resp. thing. Do you have any antibiotics? For rattling I would suggest giving some antibiotics but, there are more folks on here better at lending some advice than I. I am not big on medicine and tend to QT see how they do and if it is something they can not get over I cull. But, that is not everyone's solution and I know many folks on here have been very successful with treatment of small backyard flocks. I have over 200+ and find that if you have one sick like that it's best to cull then risk getting others sick.

Okay BYC'rs who can help this hen in the treatment dept?

Best Wishes to you and your girl [​IMG]
    Quote:

4. seramasrus

seramasrus Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Arden, NC
    Thank you for your advise, I will go and pick up some Tylan, and I am wondering also if I can use it as a preventive. I had her with a rooster, which he is not showing any signs of what she has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by