1. Wicked Gardener

Wicked Gardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Help! I have a 22 wk old Black Sex Link who is not acting right today. Very lethargic, drinking alot but not interested in food at all. It looks like she may have laid an egg without shell and with blood and mucus in it. Her comb went from being bright red yesterday to a pale pink today. I first thought it may be an infection because last week she injured herself--tore a claw almost completely off, and she is standing still in one spot with that leg held up. She lost alot of blood that day but we cleaned it and she has been fine since then until today. But now I think her illness may have something to do with the shell-less egg stuff that she expelled today. This would be her first egg as well.
    We have 6 hens, only one of which that has been laying for the last 3 weeks--never any problems with her. They free range most of the day in our suburban backyard and have a coop to retreat to. Crumbles, oyster shell and water are all readily available to them as well. Not sure where I should go from here???

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm not sure there is really anything you can do but wait and see. The pale comb and not eating do concern me.

Probably a lot of folks would isolate her, give special foods, and let her rest for a couple of days. But they are flock animals; I don't know that I would separate her from her buddies.

3. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You might try an antibiotic. Sometimes infections take a few days to become apparent, and if she's hurting from the injury or infection, she may not eat. I had a hen who sustained a bad leg injury last winter that I had to isolate from the others because they would peck her. She would only eat if I placed her food and water near enough to her that she didn't have to struggle to get to it. I got Baytril from the vet and gave that to her for a week. Check with a vet near you to see if they'll sell it to you. Some will.

4. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Quote:This is good advice.
    You say she is standing still with a leg held up?
    If I valued this hen I would take her to an avian vet and have him check the leg and the hen in general.
    If you would prefer not to provide vet care I would follow the advice above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by