1. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    [​IMG] hi i have a hen with diarrhoea and very wobbly on her feet, she uses her wings to help keep her balance, she sleep all huddled up in the run is not eating, but is drinking lots, i put the water bowl by her and she just sit next to it, i have put some Marmite in the water for her. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her and what should i do. She is about 9 months old and is the top chicken so i know she is not being picked on.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Has she ever been dewormed?

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Have you checked her over for anything else odd? Swollen/hard/distended crop, odd lumps in her stomach/underside? I don't know what could cause just weakness and diarea in a chicken. Someone else with more experience may have an idea, but checking those two things off will eliminate some potentially very bad options.

4. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    yes they all have been wormed, no other signs of anything else, no lumps.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    What about Coccidia? Ever checked for that (sample to vet)? What are you feeding? How is she housed? Bedding?

6. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    layer pellets, corn, fresh greens, grapes and meal worms for a treat, plus all the grass they need, they sleep with shavings in their house, they have vit in their water and she has some Marmite in her water supply, i poo pick their house out every day and clean it out on the 3rd day, no mites house clean from that, i have 4 chickens they all get on.

7. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I've noticed over the last few days that these very same symptoms are showing up with different owners. One owner is from Canada and some others in about the same geographical area. Just a hunch, the seasons are changing too....wild birds are migrating etc etc

What is the brand of feed that you are giving your chickens? Lot # etc

Unusual plants in your chickens environment, including fungus, molds?

What is the color of the poop? (Pictures help) [​IMG]

Is she consuming too much salt?

What kind of wood shavings are you using?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    they have been on the same pellet food that i have always used, i have one chicken who is 4 years old and the rest are young chickens which i got from a good breeder earlier this year, so they have been together now for few months with no problems, the shavings is also the same which i have used for many years.
    the pellets is medicated, they have a run with dirt to scratch around in and a grass area for them to eat off, i have kept chickens for many years and have never seen this sort of illness before, i will have to see if she survives the night.

9. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    The reason I am asking for feed brand lot # is to compare this with other owners on the forums who have poultry experiencing the same problems. Even though you have been using the same thing for years, nothing is to say that it didn't get contaminated at the mill where it was made. Reputable mills test for Mycotoxins so food from there would likely be safe.

One symptom that you listed sticks out is the excessive thirst. Causes could be: salmonella, heavy metal poisoning, Histomoniasis, excessive sodium chloride (salt), Bird Flu H5N1, Cholera, Leucocytozoonosis, etc

Bird Flu H5N1 symptoms also include poor coordination, and no appetite.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  10. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Wait where are you from. I have been getting food from a mill close to canada. Am going to stop using now. If they get sick there will be HECK at the mill for poisoning my birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by