1. donna8424

donna8424 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Florida
    I have been reading the forum sense Saturday morning. I can't find anything that may be similar. Can someone please help?
    We have 10 Easter Eggers, 2 RIR & 5 Sex Links age 1-2.5 years. The house is a 8 x 10 good ventilation. We use clay cat litter on the floor its cleaned daily. The laying boxes have hay. They are on Layena feed. Run is 40 x 15 dirt cleaned every other day. They are let out to free range 2-3 hrs a day. Everyone seemed happy running around laying good until about May egg production dropped, then we started getting soft shell eggs, mostly the RIR and SL a couple of EE had egg issues also. Now no eggs, at first I thought it was because they may be molting, but now not so sure. The RIR seem to be done molting. 2 of the SL are still half naked. The EE are losing feathers all over the place. Everyone seems active except Julie she is in the house. DH is not as observant; he does not watch how they are behaving and sense I work during the day I can only watch them on my days off. This morning I noticed one RIR was acting like she may be egg bound. I have went through the list of diseases in poultry, now I am really confused.
    They were treated for worms in April with wazine and ivermectin pour on.
    I have duramycin-10, but not sure if I should treat Julie with an antibiotic or treat everyone with corid v in case of cocci. Is it possible for older birds to get cocci?

1)What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others). EE, 1 – 2 years old, seems thinner[/b]
    2)What is the behavior, exactly? Reduced feed consumption-eats very little(yogurt, egg, cottage cheese, tuna, cooked oatmeal, apple sauce) droopiness, diarrhea-watery base some white bad odor , sleeping, inactive,
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About a week
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Some have diarrhea-watery or light brown, noticed one holding mouth open-no sounds. No one is laying 17 birds, molting I think, whole bunch of feathers laying around, a couple feel a little thin
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. A little tesp or so yogurt, egg, cottage cheese, tuna, cooked oatmeal, apple sauce, wet layer
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. diarrhea-watery base some white bad odor
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? She is staying in the house, water with electrolytes and poly-vi-sol added, trying to make her eat anything
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Need to treat at home no vet
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help . Don’t have a camera
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use House is 8 x 10 clay cat litter on floor(cleaned every day) laying box has hay, good ventilation. Water is changed 2x a day 4-1gal buckets.

Thanks a bunch for reading
    Donna

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I wish I could offer some advice, I had a sick hen and struggled to figure out what was wrong (never did and she died) and treated for everything I could think of (no vet available). My only advice would be to keep her seperated, treat her and observe the others for like symptoms. May be easiest on you and her to cull, I wish I had done so with my girl but just didn't have the heart to

3. donna8424

Aug 22, 2009
    Florida
    Thanks so much for your reply. I thought about culling her, but I just don't think I could do that I start to cry when thing about killing something so small.[​IMG]

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I understand, I couldn't do it and was relieved when I found her, like she went to sleep and didn't wake up...I know that sounds bad but [​IMG]

In your shoes I would just keep trying to save her, maybe dose with antibiotic and see if there's any improvement.

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    At what point did you start using the clay cat litter? I am just wondering if they ate even a tiny bit (our chickens peck around picking up dirt all the time) and it clogged up their system. Clay expands a huge amount when it gets wet, so I would be worried even a little bit in their system could cause a problem over time. Can you try regular pine shavings for awhile and see if anything improves?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It is indeed possible for older birds to get cocci. My hens were 2.5 years old when they got cocci during a particularly rainy summer. The cocci was very obvious in my flock, though- bloody poops everywhere.

I would not bother to treat with an antibiotic unless you are treating for something specific. You are not sure what's going on, so you would not know which antibiotic is appropriate to use, and antibiotic usage carries its own risks that are best avoided if possible.

Have you checked them over for bugs?

Molting is a very stressful time for birds. It is taxing to their bodies, uncomfortable for them, and leaves them open to any number of health issues. You often see crop issues and laying problems in birds (who have never had any previous problems) around molting times.

I can't really offer any suggestions, just information. The only thing I might do differently than what you are doing is the cat litter usage. Cat litter has been known to cause problems in birds when they ingest it in large quantities. Most birds will stay away from it, but some will eat it and it can cause crop impaction.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

7. Help_battery_hens

Help_battery_hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Northamptonshire
    i would also change the litter just to be on the safe side. i am no expert in chicken illness but the loss of feathers could be nutritional deficiency and even if its just severe moult you can give extra protein by feeding some mealworms daily etc. the hen with the beak open... is she breathing heavily? do you think it could be gapeworm. flubenvet is the wormer my poulty vet recommended i use. Also are they getting enough calcium- re the soft shelled eggs? i would recommend a poultry vet if you have one close by? im sorry i cant help more and i really hope that you can get to the bottom of this soon

8. donna8424

Aug 22, 2009
    Florida
    We started using the cat litter 2 yrs ago. I never thought about it building up and clogging up their system over time. We are going to change the clay litter to sand today. What a dummy.
    I have not seen any blood in poo yet. Does blood show in poo in every cocci case?
    I am also going to start putting vitamins and electrolytes in all the water. Will that help if they are having a nutritional deficiency? No breathing problems so far

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Blood does not show up in every case of cocci. The blood is just as a result of the damage that an overload of cocci has done to the GI tract. When cocci is caught early you can prevent the damage to the tract and never actually see any blood, which is better for the birds.

Vitamins are a good idea, but after you treat for cocci if that is what you decide to do. Electrolytes are of limited value.

I hope you figure out what's going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by