1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. jasncab1477

jasncab1477 New Egg

Oct 29, 2011
    it is 1 week later and im still nursing a sick chicken. i found some feed for chicks that is medicated. i hope that it will help her gain some strength back. i grind her food to a powder and mix it with hot water so that by the time it is mixed and ready to feed it is warm. we thought she was egg bound but the vet says she is not and did an xray to prove it. she doesnt seem to be getting worse but shes not getting better either! i let her go outside when its warm but that wont last much longer as our weather is down in the low 30's at night and mid 60's during the day. her and her 2 sisters are inside chickens, they sleep indoors and go out durring the day. i have since seperated her from the others when she got sick.

im just woundering if anybody knows anything else i should do to help her.

a friend who has a fram said why dont you kill her or let her die.. im sorry im not that type of person to just sit back and watch a sick animal die or suffer... please im at my wits end trying to help this hen i try to feed her evey couple hours but its hard when your the only one caring for her.

any advice? please and thank you

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think we need more details. There's a list at the top, please fill the info in.

3. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    i know how you feel lost 3 chickens in the last 4 days:(
    it's really hard when you try your best and they don't seem to respond.[​IMG]
    but you could try some tonic in her water or poultry spice might perk her up a bit.
    There are some good ideas on the net for different diets for chickens if poorly.
    hope you manage to sort her out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. 4ladies

4ladies Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    if she is just weak, what about protein. cooked egg yolks. also what about electrolytes? You can use pedialyte for babies. Also lots of people use vita-sol vitamins fro human babies.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:That's terrible! This has been a sad year for me too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by