Sick HEN

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by usmanone, Nov 5, 2011.

1. usmanone

usmanone New Egg

Nov 5, 2011
    A friend of mine gave me some hens recently. I dont know the type. But three out of four got sick.
    One hen was slow and didnt eat and had fever I isolated her and she died within a day.
    I had to kill one more.
    The third hen didnt seem much sick but was slow so i also isolated her. It is the third day now. Yesterday i injected some water and powder rice/wheat/millet mixture into her mouth, She was sneezing and had to breath with her beak open and
    I also noticed little mucus in the beak. She was standing and walking so I believed she would recover soon.
    But today I saw that she was barely breathing and had collapsed.

I do not have access to any vet in my city, so I gave it amoxicillin (augmentin) about 200 mg(half tablet) per day. and Terramycin capsule to the other one.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by