1. julieahillstead

julieahillstead New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    Ive had this hen for 2-3 yrs. and within the last week she has become ill. There is a lg mass on one side of her stomach. I dont think its a egg, she would have passed by now if it were. I know there is somthing else that happens to older hens. I have brought her in the house and made her comfortable. I feed her evrey 2-3 hrs. I will not just let her die. I assume she wont recover, she will not get up. She doesnt seem like she is in pain, but id rather do all I can for her and let her go on her own then put her back in the coop to suffer and die alone. Any thoughts or suggestions, id appreciate it, thank you !

2. Nightfeather

Nightfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Clinton, Utah
    when you go to pick up your hen does she make wird sounds and does she try to peck you ??????
    i know how you can fix it this has happened to one of my hens you need to get this gause its the black tary kind i can"t find it at stores no more but you can propley find it at on line. your hen has a infection get the gause put it on the lump and get medical tape around it. keep her by her self in a cage that is some where warm make sure she does NOT get her wet and you should be fine good luck :)

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Has she laid any eggs while she's been inside? I'm just wondering how you ruled out egg problems. Have you looked at the lump? Could it be an abscess or an internal layer? I wish you and your hen the best of luck!

4. julieahillstead

julieahillstead New Egg

Mar 5, 2012
    She hasnt laid any eggs for about 6 months. she is a older hen. She is still alive. I have her in the house taking care of her, She cant walk very well. I dont know if I should take her to the vet or what??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by