1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyLuck, Jan 26, 2013.

1. LadyLuck

LadyLuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    she is approx. 9-10 months old, red sex link, has been healthy and laying regularly.

noticed last night that she was on her perch and already sleeping even though I was in the coop counting birds (one didn't come home, had to count and recount).

this is where I feel badly, it is already afternoon and I don't know how long she has been down. We opened the coop this morning as usual and the flock came out (21 birds so I don't count in the mornings, just at night). My husband went out a bit ago to check that the water hadn't frozen and came in with her, she was on the ground under one of the lower perches where I saw her last night.

weather has been much colder than usual for a week(20's and 30's), but the birds have seemed ok, coop is dry and draft-free, everyone else is fine although they are not loving the snow (we are in southern virginia, never get snow).

anyway, she is in a deep sleep, breathing about 30x/minute, eyes closed, occasional twitches but other than that, unresponsive. I felt around her bottom and even slipped a gloved finger in her vent to see if she was egg bound. I don't feel anything, but freely admit I have no idea what I'm feeling for. she was warm inside and did clench my finger with her sphincter.

I mixed up a pack of the baby chick electrolytes and gave her a drop on her tongue with a dropper, she didn't swallow, just let it run out. I don't want to drown her by giving her more.

right now my daughter is holding her to keep her warm (and beg her to wake up) but I have a dog crate with hay in the kitchen ready when she is ready to lay her down.

what else can I do? I thought about a hot water bottle but I dont' want to burn her... right now it seems like she can't move so couldnt' get away if it was too warm.

thanks

2. LadyLuck

Mar 15, 2012
    I just was reading in the archives and see a thread about tube feeding and subcu fluids. I am perfectly comfortable trying to do the sub-cu fluids, I have a new butterfly and syringe. Anyone have a recipe for saline? I have saline powder meant to be used in a neti pot.

3. LadyLuck

Mar 15, 2012
    nevermind, she just died.

I hope I didn't kill her. did the subcu fluids, did one side, then flipped her over to do the other side, the fluid blister got really big after only 4 cc's so my husband said to stop. Then I picked her up and moved and moved, opened eyes, stretched wings, etc, then she stopped moving and stopped breathing. so yeah, I'm pretty sure I did kill her. however, I am also quite sure it was a matter of time anyway... she had been laying limp for hours, breathing slowing down.

4. emsmommom

emsmommom New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    what a coincidence...I lost a red sex-link hen today too...also dealing with unusual cold weather here in NJ..she had been fine, went to bed early last night...very sick this morning...kept her warm with towels..seemed so sound asleep I kept checking to see if she was still warm. I finally decided to take her into the house to get a good look at her..she shuddered in my arms on the way in and died. She was only 9 months old..the other 3 seem fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by