1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Hi, I'm new to BYC and I have question about one of my hens. I have six red sex-links and for a while now I'v only been getting five eggs (which isn't normal for them). Over the past few days one of the hens has been ruffling her feathers and staying away from the other chickens. Just today she was standing in the run (looking more ruffled than ever) when she suddenly dropped a shell less egg. She's still eating and drink and oyster shells are always available. I've done some research but I'm still not sure what's going on. Thanks in advance to any help.

2. debbie_nibbles

debbie_nibbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Port Angeles, Wa
    I have 1 doing that too? Wish someone woud give us some ideas?

3. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    birds that are not mature do it all the time. they grow out of it.

4. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    I have read that soft eggs in young pullets are normal, but my birds are about 10 months old. I'm also worried about her feather ruffling and avoidance of the other hens.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm curious about the ingredients in the feed. What is the protein level and calcium level of the feed? If you could type down the info from the feed tag, some folks on here might be able to help. I often wonder if these problems aren't just genetic, or caused by disease, but have something to do with feed ingredients. There's so much conflicting info out there it can be confusing.

6. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    THIS HAPPENS A FEW TIMES THIS WEEK, seems she is laying them from the roost. I fed her an scrambled egg with the shell crusher into just to make sure she's getting enough protein.

She's dropped som,e weight and she has some wet poops too but I don't know if these things are related. I wormed her, no change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by