1. MommasHerd

MommasHerd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    My neighbors may have been fighting roosters. I was not aware of what exactly was going on but went over to ask about their chickens. To my surprise they had 6 roosters and 1 hen. I now have the poor hen who seems to be over weight and unhealthy. Since I am new to this I really need help in caring for her.

I have her secluded from my flock for the time being. I have added raw apple cider vinegar to her water and gave her some feed. I am at a loss of what to do now though. Her vent is dirty but I am not sure what to look for exactly when it comes to mites and such. I let my flock free range in my back yard during the day. I do not want them to get sick. I feel like I should not let this new one in my yard but I also do not want her cramped in a tiny kennel.

Please help

I should add that the police and Humane Society have already been involved and these people were given 30 days to get rid of them.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would worm her with valbazen or safegard liquid goat wormer 1/2 ml. Then I would start giving her plain yogurt every day. Wash her bottom off, trim the feathers around the vent, and if it is red and has white patches, I would put some antifungal cream on it. Look her over closely, all over plus under the vent for lice and mites. Check her eyes for bubbles or swelling around the eyes. Check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it is flat. Sour crop can happen same time as vent gleet. Feed her extra protein with her layer feed. I might even treat her for coccidiosis just for precaution. Keep her separated for a least a month, even 6 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by