Sick hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Inspector, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Inspector

Inspector New Egg

Jul 31, 2012
    Hey folks,

Once again I return asking for help. I have Red sex Link (my favorite hen), normally she will follow me anywhere I go if she's out of the pen. Over the last couple days she hasn't came to me when I'm in the pen. She just stands there looking around and her comb isn't upright, its just kinda of hanging there. Wings don't appear to be drooping, no labor breathing no kind of discharge. I did worm them yesterday (Sunday) as a buddy said she sounded wormy. I know this may take a couple days to take hold.

My question is: Does this sound like she's wormy or is there something else that comes to mind? If something else what and what's the recommended treatment.

Thanks in advance as I've always have found true and correct info here.

By the way shes only a year old.

2. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    I think it wormy.

3. CarolinaSkies

CarolinaSkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    Was your chicken acting under the weather before you wormed her? If it only started after you wormed, then I'm guessing that she had a reaction to the wormer. What kind did you use and dosage?

I wormed with Wazine last week and had a young rooster and a 3 year old bantam hen that both had reactions. The rooster had weak legs, fell off the perch and ended up in the poo bucket. When I let him out, he would take a couple steps and then sit down. I took the rooster to the vet and the she gave him activated charcoal. The bantam hen was just a bit lethargic. So I kept her inside with her daughter and she was back to normal in a couple days. I won't be using Wazine again any time soon.

4. Inspector

Inspector New Egg

Jul 31, 2012
    yes, she was already sickly before I wormed her.

5. CarolinaSkies

CarolinaSkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    Is her egg laying off? Could she be molting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by