Sick Hen!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cneidel1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    I have a Rhode Island Red hen, I'm not sure on exact age but not laying yet, not full grown either, feet are swollen and look splotchy/scabby, doesn't put much weight on them, and can't walk well, just stumbles around. I have her separated from my flock, Im not sure what this is and how to treat it! any opinions would be great. And I unfortunately don't have a picture right now.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does it look at all like scaley leg mites? Gout can cause swollen feet, but the splotches andscabs sound like pox or something else. Could you post a picture of the feet and legs?

3. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    Didn't know about scaly leg mites, i am pretty new to chickens... It does somewhat look like the pictures I found on google of scaly leg mites though. I can get a picture in a couple hours when I get home. Im not sure how to treat it.

4. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    [​IMG]

Not a very good pic but the swelling has seemed to go down in the legs since I soaked her in warm soapy water yesterday... feet are swollen now with black spots.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  5. cneidel1

cneidel1 New Egg

Oct 22, 2013
    After closer inspection of the flock I think it is scaly leg mites. My rooster definitely has it too.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There could be a start of it on the toe, but the crust looks like poo. I really don't see leg mites in that picture.

7. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Frostbite maybe? If you have already soaked her feet and don't see anything like a briar, etc then try putting some triple antibiotic ointment on the feet. Her legs look pretty good to me- saw a man's flock with scaly leg mites before and the scales were all flipped up/ double size crusty. If you live in an area with bad winter weather just rub petroleum jelly on the legs and feet as well as combs/waddles to try to prevent frostbite. Triple antibiotic works great on everything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by