Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BWSY, Jan 26, 2014.

1. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    My hen has sick since 1-5-2014.

I have two barred rocks. Both are 4 1/2 years old. Both are wormed. Both have molted starting in Nov and have all feathers now. In past the 4 years they have consistently laid eggs starting around the end of Jan or beginning Feb.

Second hen is fine.

I noticed the sick one sitting on the ground hunched over and not in her normal spot for the evening on 1-5.. I bought her inside and noticed that she was underweight and her comb is pale. Crop was squishy. I also noticed that she had mites. Also yellow poop stuck to her feathers. I bathed her and kept her in overnight and dusted her the next day. She was not eating. I gave her some antibiotics and vitamins.I did not notice any unusual smells. I kept her in during the night and returned her to the coop during the day. In two days her crop was normal. She was still very weak but was eating some food like kale, tomatoes and corn but not her feed. Her condition improved over the next week and half and started acting normal.....like forging while outside, preening and talking to other hen. But she would take frequent naps. Poop was brown or green (from kale) But she was still nesting on the ground in the coop. Body posture was more normal. I would bring her in on the really cold nights. Everything was looking better til this past Friday (1-24) I found her in hunched position again this time with swollen distended stomach. Soft but firm. No hard lumps..... does not feel hot. Her appetite is good and is preening and talking. Pooping. Comb is pink. I have been soaking her in the tub and massaging her belly.

I have read other posts and information on Ascites, Peritonitis and other things.

I am considering culling her today, but I wanted to be sure it's the best thing to do. Would she still seem fine (eating, preening eg.) if it was peritonitis or ascites.

Thanks for any help.

2. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I just noticed yellow liquid poop mixed in with brown solids and separate yellow runny poop.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When you say her stomach is enlarged, you do mean the abdomen and not the crop? It sounds like she may have egg yolk pertitonitis or ascites if her abdomen is distended. She also could have heart or liver problems that can cause ascites. Sometimes people will use an 18 gauge needle and a large syringe to remove ascites fluid from the abdomen periodically to remove the pressure. E.coli infection can sometimes causeyellow or yellow green stools. I would try to keep her comfortable. Treating with antibiotics sometimes helps to prolong their lives, but since you have done that, I don't know what else to suggest.

4. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    I meant abdomen.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Eggcessive in that she may have ascites or egg yolk peritonitis. If that is the case, there isn't much you can do for her.

7. BWSY

BWSY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking that maybe putting her down will be the best thing but it's hard since she seems OK otherwise. She is responsive to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by