1. jailbirdjulie

jailbirdjulie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Bountiful Utah
    I have a hen that is about 3 1/2 years old. She is acting weird. A couple weeks ago she had feces stuck to her tail feathers. I cleaned that off. She has that again. She also had and still has puffed up feathers on her neck and head. She seemed like she was doing better for a few days. She hasn't been perching the last couple nights with the other girls. In fact last night I had to put her in the coop with them. This morning she was next to the door puffed up with her head tucked back in her feathers. When I have given them chicken scratch the past couple days she's been eating it. I work during the day so I'm not able to watch her all day to see if she's eating or not. . Her eyes and nostrils look fine. It doesn't feel like she has a full crop. . The other hens aren't picking on her yet but I think if she keeps acting this way they will. Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Check her for parasites and any other symptoms you can find. She is a little older, if nothing else is wrong then she just might not be able to keep warm any longer. My older hens get heat in the winter because they can't handle the cold any more.

3. jailbirdjulie

jailbirdjulie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Bountiful Utah
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by