1. SplashSilkie

SplashSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    Please help. My hen had a clear glob of slim run out of her and is acting very sick just sitting very still and not very mobile. What is wrong with her?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old is she? Did the slim come from vent? Have you checked her for being egg bound? Have you checked for impact or sour crop? Any indication of vent gleet? Is she eating/drinking? Have you introduced any new birds?

To check for egg binding,put on gloves w lubricant insert finger see if you can feel an egg or broken shell. If yes,give her a calcium or tums tablet or liquid calcium,keep her quiet/calm and in a dark area. I would not recommend giving her a bath in her condition,too frail and bathing may push her over the edge.

To check for crop issues,check her crop at night(after eating all day)should be full,check in morning(before eating)should be empty. To check for sour crop,crop may feel squishy and there might be a foul smell coming from mouth.

Here is a link for vent gleet,just in case this is what you are seeing.

Update with required information.

www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm not sure how old she is but I am thinking maybe 2 years old got her from someone else. No new birds at all..she is drinking but not sure about eating. I am concerned she is egg bound. it looked like the clear part of the egg that come out. I'm upset cause limited to what I can do for I am sick myself right now and have no help. Can't get out due to roads either..

4. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    How do I give her tums?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you checked for being egg bound? You can break tablet into pieces and give orally.

6. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Break it in a few pieces and put it in her mouth. Do the vent exam, it sounds like a broken egg inside. Need to clean it out.

7. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    Oh no I dont have any gloves or vaseline...I also have long nails can't get out to get anything what can I do now?

8. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Cut your nails, clean your hands really well. You could use saran wrap. Do you have KY jell?

9. SplashSilkie

Jan 11, 2014
    Gonna try to drive out of here and get gloves and vaseline.

10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    KY jelly would be better. Olive oil probably could be used as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by