1. kristalynn

kristalynn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2012
    I have a sick hen.  She hasn't layed an egg for a week or more.  She is an ISA so I thought maybe she had a stuck or broken egg as she lays huge ones.  The first night she was sick she couldn't get on the roost so she slept in the floor.  The next day I thought maybe it was vent gleet.  All the gross symptoms. So I gave her some yogurt and vinegar in the water. She ate and was alert and feeling better.
    Today her legs and feet are swollen with clear liquid meaning from the scales. I don't see any signs of Bumble foot.  What can I do for her?

2. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Have you looked her over for lice/mites? check around her vent to see if she has anything crawling around?

3. kristalynn

Jun 17, 2012
    I haven't seen any mites.
    I put some VetRx on her poor feet.
    Also when I open up her wings all the inside ones are chewed off!
    They have Nutrena feed and minimal treats.

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Can you post some photos of those feet...It will help diagnose her and get you on the right track to getting her recovered and laying again. I would put a salve on her legs. The mites can be very small and hard to see...sometimes only at night too. You could take a flash light down to the coop and see if you see something crawling. Bag balm, Vaseline or something with an oil will help smother leg mites if that's what it is...but whatever it is it's making her ill enough to not make her lay too possibly. Photos are good.

5. kristalynn

Jun 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. kristalynn

Jun 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. kristalynn

Jun 17, 2012
    Tried to get some good pics. There are clear blisters now.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Possibly gout or mycoplasma synoviae (MS.) I'm leaning toward gout, you mentioned clear liquid leaking from scales.

9. kristalynn

Jun 17, 2012
    She is eating and drinking. She sits and stays in one spot. She does get up and move around. I can tell her feet are sore. I soaked then and put Neosporin on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by