1. Deepfriedbeauty

Deepfriedbeauty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    My Blue Copper Maran started laying only a few weeks ago. She is approximately 8 months old. She hasn't layer an egg since mid last week. The last 4 days she has been isolating herself from the flock. This morning I noticed that she had an excess of poop matted up around her vent. I cleaned her up and I could see that her vent appeared to be slightly protruding, or maybe just a little puffy. The poop seemed to be unusually green. Also her comb is getting floppies than normal. What could be the problem?

2. Deepfriedbeauty

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    I checked for an impacted egg. Nothing there. I am having such a hard time figuring out what is wrong with her.

3. Deepfriedbeauty

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    As of this morning, Sylvie has been in isolation for 24 hours. There's only two poops in the kennel. They both appear to have yolk in them. I have an appointment with a vet tomorrow morning. Any advice for today would be greatly appreciated.

4. Deepfriedbeauty

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    Also she seems to be drinking her water and she is eating her treats.

5. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Is there a smell coming from the vent area? She may be egg-bound, but you said there may have been yolk in the poo and that is concerning. Eggs can break inside of the hen and can cause infection. It sounds like you are doing everything right! Try giving her a nice long soak in warm water and epsom salts (be sure and dry her throughly after with a blow dryer or space heater).

6. Deepfriedbeauty

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    There's no smell coming from the vent. I checked with a lubed and gloved finger yesterday for a possible bound egg. She was empty. Thank you. I will update as soon as I have some more info. I will also try the "bath."

7. Deepfriedbeauty

Jul 29, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Coop
    I took Sylvie to the vet 3 days ago. It is pegg yolk peritonitis. She said she has a calcium deficiency, gave her a shot of calcium, told me to change my feed, and prescribed 10 days of antibiotics. I have been feeding them Hilands Naturals Layer. The vet recommended Purina Layena Omega3. I really like that the Hilands is GMO free. Sylvie seems to be a bit more spirited, but she still is off. My fingers are crossed. She is by far a very expensive hen now. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by