1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kens147, Nov 9, 2014.

1. kens147

kens147 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    ohio
    I need help ive seen this before hens standing around no energy and has diarrhea then they die. I put vitamin and electrolyte in the water and gave them some pumpkin seeds what else can I do thanks for whatever help you can give me

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When you say you have seen this before - was it recently in your flock? How many birds, how old and how long have they been showing these symptoms? Are there any other symptoms? Any recent changes to the flock - diet, new birds, exposed to a new area?

3. kens147

Sep 17, 2009
    ohio
    about 5 weeks or so no change to my flock 16 hens there between 5 and 2 years old

4. kens147

Sep 17, 2009
    ohio
    its been about 5 days she been acting like this

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So they are between 2 years and 5 years old, not 5 months to 2 years old? How old is the sick one? I'm just making sure in case it might be coccidiosis, which can make them weak, lethargic, puffed up, having diarrhea with or without blood, and stop eating. Cocci is usually in younger chickens, but can also affect chickens if you have brought in any new ones, or if they have moved to new soil. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) given in the water for 5 days. Worming them with Valbazen 1/2 to 1 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days may help if they have a large amount of worms. Pumpkins seeds won't do a lot if they have worms. Look them over for any signs of mites or lice on their skin. Check their crops to make sure they are not impacted or sour. What does the diarrhea look like? Can you feel of her to see if she has lost weight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by