sick hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sadieoisin, Dec 20, 2014.

1. sadieoisin

sadieoisin New Egg

May 6, 2014
    Hello, I have two three year old sex link hens and three two year old banty's. They are more of pets then anything.one of my sex link has a very swollen belly her belly feels hard,comb is very light colored and she has her tail down she has not laid for three months at least so she cant be egg bound. she has been this way for about 3 days. alittle more info on them:They have a pretty good set up as far as their coop clean and dry I feed them 15% feed from a farm also offer them their pellets, oyster shells and grit fresh water everyday. I live in ny where we cant let them out in winter I have made them a dirt bath in their coop.If anyone has any suggestions I can do for my myrtle please let me know

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing that she is an internal layer. it might be advantageous to euthanize her. It appears as though she is suffering, especially if her belly is swollen and hard. This is only my guess, and only my opinion. For a definite diagnosis, you'd need to consult a vet. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Does "internal layer" mean that a hen suddenly starts laying the eggs inside herself and several can build up? I haven't heard that term before.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can do a topic search in the blue bar at the top of the page. Yes, egg material leaks out of the oviduct and ends up in the peritoneal cavity. It builds up over time, can cause a massive infection, and I think often leads to cancer. The firm abdomen and hunched posture, tail down is a classic sign.

5. sadieoisin

sadieoisin New Egg

May 6, 2014
    thank-you for your help. I did look it up and I read the classic signs of internal layer never heard of it before ,she was such a good layer :(

6. sadieoisin

sadieoisin New Egg

May 6, 2014
    RIP myrtle

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm so sorry for Myrtle and for you. I lost a hen just yesterday and I know how you are feeling.[​IMG]

8. sadieoisin

sadieoisin New Egg

May 6, 2014
    thank you sorry for you too its nice to have this web site with others who have the love of the same hobby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by