sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by auschick, Jan 10, 2015.

1. auschick

auschick Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    hen has a swollen stomach. walking very slowly with humpback.she's eating good and has a bright red comb

2. Is it her lower abdomen that's swollen, or her crop that's on her front? It could be four or five different things depending on where the swelling is.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Has she been laying eggs lately?

4. auschick

auschick Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    hen is about 4 yrs old, abdomen feel like a water baloon, dont think she is eggbound. lower abdomen is soft.

5. Luvmybuttergirl

Luvmybuttergirl New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    I'm having the same problem with one of mine. Someone suggested it might be peritonitis from "internal laying". Idk? Even vet couldn't figure it out. Have her in antibiotic injections for the 4th time in about 7 months.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ascites or fluid in the abdomen could be a possibility. It can cause labored breathing. Ascites can be caused by heart failure or liver disease from egg yolk peritonitis. Fluid may be drawn off the abdomen periodically to relieve pressure and pain. Cysts in the abdomen could be another possibility.

7. It could be Egg Yolk Peritonitis from internal laying, however, I've had a hen show those symptoms, make a recovery, relapse, recover, for several times, so there may be another cause.

8. Luvmybuttergirl

Luvmybuttergirl New Egg

Aug 22, 2013
    Thank you. I'm hoping this round of antibiotics helps again. If not... I may try to drain her belly. Poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by