1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. greendogvt

greendogvt New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    We have a 7 or 8 mouth old hen that has been off for about 4 day we have searched for what it might be but can't find it. We first noticed she was just sitting on the coop floor smelled like pee when she would try to move she stagers and falls over so we brought her inside so the others wouldn't bother her but she still seems out of balance and still smells she seems to have lost some weight her eyes are clear no breathing problems or sneezing just no energy no balance please help us figure out what up with our hen thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Smelling like pee, she is liable to have some droppings on her feathers with some white urates or urine on them. I would deworm her first with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. Then put some chicken vitamins in her water. Have you had any coccidiosis in your chickens in the past? Does she stand or sit puffed up? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can cause balance issues, staggering, drooping wings or lameness, and it can also cause wasting or weight loss. Does she sit on her hocks or elbows?

3. greendogvt

greendogvt New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    She looks even worse today she is pale around her eyes can't hardly get up I'm not sure if she was vaccinated or not we got them from a local farm and we've only had chickens for a few Months this is our first real issue of any sort thank you for any info u may have

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am going to suggest you worm her ASAP. Vabazen would be best, but Safeguard is good if you can't find Valbazen.

5. enola

Is she eating or drinking anything?

6. greendogvt

greendogvt New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    She is eating and drinking alittle

7. enola

She needs to be hydrated before medicating her. Will she swallow if you dip her beak?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a homemade electrolyte recipe to use to rehydrate her:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute* (or potassium)
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water

9. greendogvt

greendogvt New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    Thank you all for the help I've decided to just take her to the vets

10. greendogvt

greendogvt New Egg

Jan 11, 2015
    I will let u know the outcome