1. sandra-malin984

sandra-malin984 New Egg

Jul 16, 2014
    my dads hen is walking not very well cannot put her foot down much and falls over on the side ,when you pick her up her toes on that leg curls under ,what could it be.thanks

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Have you checked her foot and leg for any injuries, cuts, wounds, abrasions, or bumblefoot?

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. sandra-malin984

sandra-malin984 New Egg

Jul 16, 2014
    I,ll have a look tommorow when i go down ,could you tell me what Bumble foot is thanks.

4. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Bumblefoot is a staph infection caused when a chicken cuts its foot on rocks, glass, metal, anything and an infection sets in. You will see a swollen lump sized from 1/4" to 1" on the foot with a black scab where the source of the infection started. It's unmistakable.

[​IMG]

It can be on a toe, foot pad, side of the foot... Anywhere that can be injured and infected.

Bumblefoot can be very painful and requires surgery (that anyone can do at home) to remove the infected core. If it is bumblefoot, you can use the search bar at the top of the forum to find a billion threads on bumblefoot removal and treatment.

If it's NOT bumblefoot, please include any other symptoms you can, and include a picture if at all possible.

Have you checked her abdomen for any unusual masses? How is her appetite? Is she drinking water? Is her crop hard, or full and spongy? When was the last time your dad wormed his flock? Do you have any other chickens exhibiting any other symptoms?

Does her neck twist up in odd angles? Does she ever appear to shake, have tremors, or have seizures? How do her pupils look? If she's falling over, that could indicate a neurological issue or perhaps ingestion of a toxin. Does she have access to any areas with metal shards, pesticides, herbicides, or that have peeling paint on walls, doors, or buildings?

Anything else you can tell us will help!

MrsB

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  6. sandra-malin984

sandra-malin984 New Egg

Jul 16, 2014

7. sandra-malin984

sandra-malin984 New Egg

Jul 16, 2014
    I went to my dad's on sat morning but sadly his hen had passed away during the night ,I looked at its foot its toes were curled under looked purple .

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Blue, purple, and black appendages can be the result of poor circulation and strain on the heart.

I hope that this is an isolated incident and the rest of your dad's flock remains unaffected. ♡

MrsB

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by