1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by samchickcow, Jan 15, 2015.

1. samchickcow

samchickcow New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    I have a Barred Rock that is ill. I found her yesterday huddled in the corner of the yard (they free range for most of the day) with her eyes closed. A few hours earlier, she was completely normal! I picked her up and brought her inside my house. She is listless and keeps her eyes shut then opens them for a few seconds then shuts them again. She looks fine, no discharge coming from the mouth, respiratory distress or foul odor coming from her mouth! I have been giving her water with a syringe and she has moments where she perks up but then shuts her eyes again. She is a somewhat puffy in her tail area but she did lay an egg yesterday morning. I gave her some olive oil and massaged her crop a little but I have a feeling that her crop is not the issue but I could be wrong. She does have watery diarrhea but it is more greenish and I didn't see any signs of blood! She did try to eat earlier but only for a few seconds. Any advice before I try to find an avian vet would be so helpful!! thanks!!

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    When was the last time you wormed her? :)

MrsB

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Also, how old is she?

4. samchickcow

samchickcow New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Not exactly sure but I know that my husband did it not too long ago! She seems to be perking up a bit so I am hoping that whatever she has is passing. My first thought is that she ate something bad!! I have been giving her plain yogurt!! Maybe that is helping!!

5. samchickcow

samchickcow New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    She is almost a year old.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would find out what he used for worming. Valbazen gets all known chicken worms, and Safeguard equine paste or goat wormer will get all worms with 3-5 days use. She could have coccidiosis or enteritis. You could give her Corid in her water to treat her for cocci, but I would worm first.

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    X2

MrsB

8. samchickcow

samchickcow New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Thanks!! I'll give that a try! She is actually looking better and is more alert!! Hopefully this is starting to pass! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by