Sick Hen!!

puppies9099

Songster
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Classified
Hi i have a Black Australorp /silkie mix hen her name is Cheeks today i found her in the coop she wont eat or drink and she had a worm in her poop she wont walk and her wings are out please i don't want her to die can someone help me.
P.S. she is very pretty i hope she wont die

How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Is she having diarrhea or blood in her droppings? She could be dehydrated or she could be suffering from coccidiosis. Drooping wings is a bad sign that she is very ill, either from dehydration, a disease, or it could be a neurological sign. I would get some electrolyte and vitamin mix and feed her with a dropper or dip herbeak into the solution. Try feeding her some scrambled egg if she has taken some fluids first.

Hi thanks for the info but she died this morning i don't understand but what was weird was when my sister held her by her feet(when she was dead) alot of liquid came out her mouth yesterday she also had drool coming out her mouth not alot and
her age was 10 months old and she laid eggs her birthday is May 25th she also has a sister who is black and looks just like Cheeks
i'm sad she's gone but i know she is in a better place now mabye we can find out why she died
sad.png

Our chickens have 200 square feet to run in. and they eat nonGMO feed and drink well water so i just wonder what she picked up PS. My name is Bella we live on 80 acres.and we have 46 chickens,11 bantams ,2 muscovy ducks ,1 muscovy mix ,8 ducks, 4 african geese ,2 berkshire pigs ,2 great pyrenees ,and 5 cats and also 18 chicks 7 are bantam and the rest are maran so i don't think she could pick something up from them oh and yesterday she was shaking her head slightly

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do some reading on Mareks disease, just in case you have another chicken get sick. The state vet can do a necropsy on a refrigerated body to look for Mareks, which can affect all of your chickens. Hopefully, she was just weak due to another problem, such as dehydration or coccicdiosis. It's normal when a chicken is held upside down for liquid to come out of the crop into the beak. If she was drooling and had some head shaking, she may have been suffering from a respiratory disease. You may want to check some of your chickens for mites, and worm them them on a regular basis if you haven't. It sounds like you have a nice farm with lots of great animals. Sorry for your loss of cheeks.

You said she had a worm in her poop. She may have been overloaded. I would give everyone else a worming with Valbazen , 2 wormings 10 days apart. I would also check all your chickens for lice and mites or dust them with sevin dust or poultry dust.

You said she had a worm in her poop. She may have been overloaded. I would give everyone else a worming with Valbazen , 2 wormings 10 days apart. I would also check all your chickens for lice and mites or dust them with sevin dust or poultry dust.

x2 If one bird has worms, most likely the others have them as well...or will have them.

thankyou, we deworm our chickens with DE(Diatomaceous Earth) we never see worms.all our chickens seem happy healthy and fed
if anyone can give anymore advice would be great PS. we already buried her and we had 2 chickens that had mareks disease one was a BCM hen her whole body went limp (she was isolated from the others for 2 months) because we thought she had a bad limp and the other one he couldn't walk he was isolated for 3 weeks
but that was in the winter and so far no symptoms on any chickens and some of are hens even Cheeks would eat an egg because we have a very stupid BA we named her Stupidy because she lays her egg on top of a board in the coop and Cheeks would always get the yolk so she should have been healthy yesterday my sister tried to get her to eat but she wouldn't open her mouth so we have a very big MYSTERY?

Bella

our chickens have never had any antibiotics or drugs cheeks was hatched by her mom named Pet Cheek's sister is named buttons and she had another sister named sapphire all are laying eggs cheeks has a brother named Tweety (that we are going to eat)

Since you have had chickens that have died in the past from possible Mareks disease, then it is very possible that she had that. Since you saw a worm in her droppings, there are many more and DE doesn't prevent them. You could take a sample of several chicken's droppings to a vet, and find out what worms are present. Wormers such as Valbazen sheep and cattle wormer, or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer are very good for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom