1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hi everyone! I have a 1 year old hen who is moving very slow and she's puffing her feathers up. This has been going on for a few days now. I believe she's a dark Cornish. Last time this happened to me it was my red sexlink hen and she was egg bound. I did everything I was supposed to do and the red sex link passed the egg. The red sexlink was egg bound in the fall of last year. I know chicken issues are a pain in the but to figure out so I took her inside gave her a warm bath for about 30 minutes, then I dried her off the best I could and brought her back outside. She looked like she was pushing a little bit but no egg came out. I didn't feel anything and she had an extremely full crop. So just incase it was impacted I massaged it for a while and it looks like it went down a little bit. She's able to jump on the roost ,she's definitely drinking, and she looks like she's picking at things in the run to eat. She seems to be moving a little bit faster today but she just doesn't look good. I really don't k what to do I'm going out today to get some plain yogurt for her and some vitamins. Any advice would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    She also was having very runny green and white droppings it would get all over her feathers but since I gave her the bath it hasn't been getting on her. It is still green and white but a little more solid.

3. unicornia

unicornia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Sussex County, NJ
    I am having similar problems with a chicken of mine right now. Pretty much have been through the same thing.... and I dont know what else to do.... her poops are greenish and runny now (thought Vent Gleet?) so giving her yogurt, wheat germ, and probiotics. she is still droopy, tail down, and mouth breathing. This has been going on for 5 days now, and I have bathed her and tried to feel for an egg (couldnt feel one so I ruled out egg bound) and the crop feels alright. So now I am thinking, some kind of bacterial infection?

Allison

4. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    I never even thought of vent gleet! I'll have to check her out again. Mine isn't mouth breathing and she's able to run away when I try to pick her up. I do put hay in the run because none of my chickens enjoy eating it they just like to pick and scratch through it. I live in New York we've had a few warm days so maybe it's been the constant change in temperatures, maybe she ate something she shouldn't of. Hopefully someone can help us out!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have your chickens been wormed?

6. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    I haven't wormed them

7. unicornia

Apr 14, 2012
    Sussex County, NJ
    could all these symptoms be from worms? and what worming medicine is recommended?

8. unicornia

Apr 14, 2012
    Sussex County, NJ
    I live in New Jersey (bordering on New York) and I wondered as well if she got sick due to the temperature change. It was warm, right, for a bit? then it snapped cold again. :( I have mine in a bath tub inside the house with a humidifier and heat lamp. She seems to be staying the same though. Her back side, around her vent, is VERY SWOLLEN.

9. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    1 person likes this.
  10. unicornia

Apr 14, 2012
    Sussex County, NJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by