Sick hennie - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchickontheblock84, Oct 24, 2011.

1. newchickontheblock84

newchickontheblock84 New Egg

Oct 24, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm new to this website and chicken keeping in general but we've had our girls for nearly a month now and I'm totally in love with them. Which is why I am going out of my mind with worry right now. One of our gorgeous girls, Jessica, is sick and has the following symptoms:

Lethargy, swollen eye/face, listless, gasping, not eating or drinking, sneezing, wheezing, mucus from beak, and yellow pus from beak area.

She's been sneezing ever since we bought her, but we were advised to put ACV in their water and maybe some crushed garlic. I also bought some Nettex nutri drops and she seemed fine, until this morning.

She made no attempt to come out of the coop and usually she's the first out. I read up a little online and it seemed that she may be brooding. General advice stated to physically remove her from the coop so she could eat and drink and move around.

I picked her up and put her down on the grass, nothing. That's when I noticed her left eye was swollen shut. She's not eating or drinking and not really moving either.

I called the farm where we bought her from and they advised that she probably had some sort of respiratory infection and to give her some Baytril. I won't be able to get any until tomorrow but from what I have read online about it, I think I'd be a bit worried about consuming her eggs after treating her with it. Am I being over-cautious here?

Reading online can be helpful but also extremely confusing! In the past half an hour I've read about countless infections and diseases that this could be and the treatment differs each time! I just want to make Jess feel better, it's horrible seeing her like this. It wouldn't bother us if we never ate her eggs again, so long as we were able to treat her.

Has anyone ever seen anything similar in their own flock? Or can anyone suggest what to do next?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Racing out the door to work - wish I could type more - but I think in general I would say that with symptoms that severe, if you are able to get her to an avian vet right away, I would do it. She is in a world of trouble and needs the right meds now - no time for trial and error.
    JJ

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Baytril withdrawal is 28 days after the last dose. I cant post the reference. I agree that it sounds like a respiratory problem. Smell her nostril and head area, if you smell a foul odor, it's coryza. Otherwise it could be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Here's a link to poultry respiratory diseases, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and see if the symptoms are similar. You can read about the other diseases as well if you wish:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. newchickontheblock84

Oct 24, 2011
    Morning all,

Thanks so much for the responses yesterday. I am pleased to say that things are looking up. Jessica was showing signs of improvement all day and by the time we took her to the vet, she wasnt sneezing at all - typical! Our vet isnt a poultry expert but he gave us some Baytril and advised to give them 0.5ml twice a day for 5 days.

This morning there was more improvement, they all came out of the coup for some breakfast and were eating as normal. Apart from the odd cough/sneeze/snot bubble they were in much better spirits! Especially Jess. Im hoping the Baytril will sort that out, but Jessica and Pam (who we got first, together) were definitely sneezing when we brought them home.

I've just realised I havent even told you all what they are: Jessica and Pam are RIR hybrids and Annie and Esther are Light Sussex hybrids.

Thanks for all your help and advice over the past 24 hours, it was much appreciated.

5. springsrun

springsrun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Fauquier County, VA
    So glad to hear your hen is improving! I know you must be very relieved. I do have a question though, being new to chickens myself...do you give the Baytril to chickens as in injection or is it given orally?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Baytril can be injectable, tablet or liquid. Of course the tablet and liquid are given orally.

7. newchickontheblock84

Oct 24, 2011
    We've been given syringes to administer it orally. Yes we are so so relieved, Jess was always so lively, it was truly horrible to see her like that.

8. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    So Pleased there feeling better [​IMG]b My chickens had the same symptoms as yours, I got told it was mycoplasma and was given Baytril for 7 days and there much better now... One chicken was still sneezing about a week after but has calmed down now... Good luck [​IMG] Tracy....

9. springsrun

springsrun Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Fauquier County, VA
    Thanks for the info dawg53. I have the injectable Baytril that I've used on larger livestock, but didn't realize it also came in liquid and tablet. Good to know!

10. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So glad to hear this good news!!!!

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by