Sick hens following deworming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gingin, Nov 12, 2010.

1. gingin

gingin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    beautiful vermont
    Looking for some assistance with a couple of my hens who are looking down following a deworming with ivermectin:

One month ago I dewormed with wazine, everyone did well.... they got lots of yogurt for two weeks afterwards. Yesterday we dewormed with ivermectin, I know I was supposed to do it two weeks after I administered wazine but we had some family emergencies... so...

Today I have two hens looking down. One is uncharacteristically not interested in the sunflower seeds I treated them with, the other is eating but still looking off, tails are down and they look "wrong". These are two partridge cochins, their color is good and they are currently in my basement after a weasel attack day before yesterday. I lost three during the attack and I'm sheltering the rest of my girls in my basement, in a makeshift coop (dog ex-pen around a kiddie pool filled with shavings) until I can reinforce the coop this weekend. Neither girl was hurt during the attack and they seemed fine until I dosed with the dewormer. Two other hens are just fine and showing no ill effects.

I'm assuming this is due to the ivermectin, and they'll get yogurt tonight (as I did last night). I've heard yogurt is beneficial but may not provide an adequate level of probiotics... I actually have some probiotic powder for my dogs, should I try that? What else can I do to help the girls along here? I'm still reeling following the weasel losses and would hate to lose these two to my mismanagement.

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm so thankful for this forum, learning more every day.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:The weasel attack has them stressed out, moving them into an unfamiliar area has them stressed out (albeit temporary) and worming them stresses them as well. Ivermectin is a safe wormer...it's all the incurred stressors that is causing this. I recommend giving them plain yogurt mixed with scrambled egg (protein) all mixed in their feed to make a mash and give it to them to eat. All you can do is monitor them for now and they should get better soon. Good luck.

3. gingin

gingin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    beautiful vermont
    I guess I added further to the stress by dewroming..... live and learn, next time I'll know not to do that when they are already stressed.

Thank you for the recipe, I'll try that.

gingin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by