sick hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by really4me, Nov 26, 2016.

1. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    All my hens were laying like crazy. Then a few were laying off a bit and now only 2 are laying regularly. I have 6 hens of different breedings. I checked 2 of them today that are not laying; it's been 2 months for my Cocoo Maran and about 3 weeks for my Buff Op. They did not have any mites or lice but there combs are very pale now. They were very red while laying well. The little Buff is always being bullied, not to the bleeding or feather pulling but she's alone most of the time and on a roost alone at night. Her eggs have always been very soft shelled and she's always had a poopy butt. I am thinking that I should go ahead and worm all my girls. What is the best wormer? I've used DE food grade a little in pellets but not anything else. I use DE on them occasionally to make sure they don't have mites and I put it on the roost boards, and it's in the dust bath which is available to them daily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was getting 6-7 eggs a day and i"m down to 1 or 2 now. I do have a timed light, feed oyster shells are free fed, some good scratch one time a day thrown outside and an organic pellet feed. They always have water but haven't tried vinegar in it which I'm thinking about. They get some scraps but usually just some greens.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. sfindlay

sfindlay New Egg

Nov 26, 2016
    I have the same problem. I was accusing my girls of freeloading as they are only 2 years old. 1egg every 2 days from 5 hens, thin shells, watery albumen. They are all bright and healthy looking. Just not laying and their combs are pale, and one has a dirty bottom. Then just yesterday one hen passed a "lash egg" so now I'm giving them garlic, apple cider vinegar and a separate water source with some condy's crystals in it. According to my research they have chronic salpingitis. Not sure what else to do because I don't want to have to put them down.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old are they?

Reduced daylight hours even with a timer, and depending on age they may be starting to molt.

If the BO is bullied, she may not be eating enough or not getting enough oyster shell. I even have one hen that sometimes is very bossy over granite grit [​IMG] Watch to see if she is being kept from food and/or treats.

Worming your flock may be a good idea. While DE may have it's "benefits" - IMHO it is not effective on worms. You can find de-wormers at your local feed store or online. Two good ones would be Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row.

Some other causes of soft shelled eggs would be parasites (worms, lice/mites), nutritional deficiency (sometimes a hen just doesn't absorb what she needs even though you give all the right things), stress/bullying or illness. You may want to offer some extra poultry vitamins in the water or direct dose you BO with something like Poultry Nutri-Drench once or twice a week to see if she improves.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC, @sfindlay . I'm sorry you are having problems. It would be best to start your own new thread at the top of this page to reduce confusion, and get advice tailored for your specific problem.

5. really4me

really4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    Great info, thanks so much. The hens are only 7 months, one is 1 1/2 and she's quit laying. I think that they might be molting now but I'll give the wormer and other things a try. I started with some yogurt today as a probiotic. I'm not sure if she gets to eat but I'm making sure when she's outside the coup she gets treats. I might try another waterer to give them another source too.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds like a plan.

Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by