1. Cantonmentchickenmama

Cantonmentchickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Cantonment, florida
    I had determined that some of my hens had ended up with a respiratory infection. I have been treating all my chickens with electrolytes and duramycin. However, I had three of the them that weren't improving. I ended up putting them down today. I am wondering did I do the right thing?!? My opinion is that sacrifice some for the good of all, but I can't help but think that maybe I could have done more or something else. I have two other hens that are rattling and shaking their heads. I don't want to continue feeding them duramycin. Can anyone recommend some support?

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I feel for you. I just put down a hen for the same reasons. I can't stop thinking about it...it stinks.
    I don't think Duramycin is the drug for an upper resp. infection. I was told to use Tylan 50. You
    didn't mention how old your hens are, their size, etc. I always put a heating pad under sick birds or
    heat over them so they don't have to use energy keeping warm, it can all go towards getting better.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:You probably did the right thing for your flock and the birds. If you can find this product without having to order it, I'd say get it and start using it asap,
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page11.htm Oxine ah is the best for treating upper respiratory infections, you can use it in a humidifer or just spray the chickens with it. I spray using a garden sprayer [new] and I spray them right in the face too. also add it to their water and spray the roosts and bedding with it.
    if you have to order then you'll need to continue the duramycin for as long as it is reccomened, I am sorry for the loss of your birds, and hope the others recover. All the best AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

The gurgling and rattling sound I heard in a hen that someone gave me, took her to the vet & the culture came back bacterial pneumonia. Vet gave me amoxicillin (the pink stuff) and it cleared right up. So when I hear the gurgle, I reach for the penicillin-type drugs. That said, I have heard that Tylan 50 is an excellent treatment for respiratory infections & you can dose everyone at once, which is a bonus. I have also heard that Oxine in a mister does an awesome job too, and while I have purchased some Oxine, I have yet to use it!

5. Cantonmentchickenmama

Cantonmentchickenmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Cantonment, florida
    Thanks everyone. I am still new to the chicken raising business. I find it to be very rewarding, however putting two of my best girls down has taken its toll. I will be looking into the medication that was recommended. I am taing this in stride because I know that there will be many more hens that will capture my heart. [​IMG]

RIP Blonde beauty (Buff Or), Gizmo (Bantam), and Reddie (RIR).

6. sillyena

sillyena Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I have read also that gallimycin is a very good antibotic for this....the Oxine is good for everything just about...everyone needs to keep it on hand..[​IMG]

7. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    It's not an easy decision to cull a flock member. I Always feel though that doing so ultimately protects the rest of the flock from further spread of disease. It just stinks to have to, but it's part of owning chickens. I recently lost one of mine after separating her from the flock. I had a lot of reservations about it, but to see the rest of the flock healthy is reassuring.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by