Sick hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fieryskys, Dec 14, 2013.

1. fieryskys

fieryskys New Egg

Dec 14, 2013
    Three of my 6 hens have swollen eyebrows, are extremely sluggish, make occasional very faint clicking noises when breathing, and sometimes while sitting lift their heads and half open their eyes and appear to make gasping motions, also their combs and Wattles are pale[​IMG]. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sounds to me like a clear case of infectious respiratory disease. Might not be, though, but chances are...

Anyway, here are some links to peruse and see if anything "clicks" with you and the symptoms you see in them. Some of these are great sites to bookmark for future reference.

Best wishes.

Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote: Quote:

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a respiratory disease to me. By now, all of your chickens have probably been exposed, and isolating the sick birds wouldn't accomplish much. Start giving your birds electrolytes, and get some antibiotics. Tylan50 is usually considered to be the best antibioic for a respiratory disease. You should be able to find it a a livestock supply store or feed store. If you can't get Tylan, Terramycin and Duramycin might work too, but aren't quite as strong as Tylan.

Keep in mind that once birds have a respiratory disease, they will always be carriers, and may show symptoms again during times of stress. The antibiotics should get rid of they symptoms, but they will never be cured.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by