Sick hens ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abl916, Feb 10, 2014.

1. abl916

abl916 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Robbins nc
    I have 6 red sexlink hens around 1 year old. Lately a couple have had a pale looking face an been acting droopy. No sneezing, coughing, or anything like that just been pale faced an droopy acting. The weather here in nc has been up an down the last few weeks any ideas on what's going on ?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Visually inspect all your birds for lice or mites especially around the vent area. Lice are white/off white in color and move quickly. Mites look like pepper, dont move much if at all. If you dont see external parasites, consider worming them if you havnt done so.
    What is their diet? What does their poop look like?

3. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 Sounds like my birds when they had lice or worms!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. abl916

abl916 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Robbins nc
    I think in the morning I'm gona give them lice treatment an some wormer, there diet consist of laying pellets, 5 grain scratch, oyster shell, an a handful or so of hole corn in this cold weather, also fresh veggies an plenty of grass.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like spoiled chickens! You can usually see lice on the hens, look at the base of their feathers under their wings, and around their vents. If they have lice, you will either see the insect, of the feathers will look like they have dandruff building up around them ( eggs )

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well I think you need to up the protean in the feed as I had such
    a problem just over a year ago and by feeding them some turkey
    grow all the color and droopy comb went back to normal [​IMG]

7. Actionflack

Actionflack New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    Norfolk, United Kingdom
    One of mine went really pale a couple of days ago and looked quite subdued. She wasn't sneezing etc either. She's perked up a lot today and looks much redder in the face.
    Perhaps coincidence, but all 4 laying hens have stopped laying for the last few days too. We were getting between 1 and 4 eggs a day...
    We're having a lot of rain and windy conditions (Norfolk, England) and I wonder if that's putting them off and making them feel a bit rubbish?

8. abl916

abl916 New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Robbins nc
    That's how it is here In nc, warm one day, snowing the next. So I think it is bothering them

9. Actionflack

Actionflack New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    Norfolk, United Kingdom
    I'm fairly sure my hen had gapeworm in the end! After a week long dose of flubenvent (medicated feed), garlic in the water as well as fresh garlic and some fresh mint she seems fine and is looking much healthier now.
    How are yours getting on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by