Sick hens!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carrieschkns, Mar 9, 2014.

1. carrieschkns

carrieschkns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have two hens that I have separated from the rest of my flock because their eyes are swollen? completely shut. Of course it's Sunday and no feed stores are open to get antibiotics. They are not wheezing, coughing, etc. just their eyes are fused shut. I have an eye doctor friend who told me to put neosporin on them even though it says not for eyes, he says its perfectly okay. What else can I do and what type of antibiotic should I get. I have some amoxicillin ( tiny bit left over from my 4 yr old).any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Keep them seperated from the rest of your birds as you're doing. Unless it's an environmental problem ie... debris/dirt in their eyes from dust baths, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding with poor coop ventilation, pollen, pesticide use etc... you could possibly be dealing with the onset of a respiratory problem. Liberally flush their eyes with saline solution, then apply the neosporin several times a day for a couple of days. If there's no improvement, then it could be a respiratory disease. Tylan 50 or tylan 200 injectables can be used to treat most respiratory diseases. However, surviving birds will be carriers and will transmit whatever disease it is to other birds. Antibiotics only treat symptoms and do not cure the disease. Also, antibiotics have no effect on viral diseases, but could help with a secondary bacterial infections. If in fact it's a respiratory disease, your other option is to cull the sick birds.

3. carrieschkns

carrieschkns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks dawg. Could I use the same saline I use in my eyes? And should i try and pry their eyes open? And I'll give it a day, but I certainly don't want them to infect my other chickens. I have 23 hens and 2 Roos in the main coop. So they may have to go bye bye. Can I send them to get tested somewhere? I'd rather be safe than sorry with my other birds. Thanks again.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The saline for your eyes would work fine. I believe you all have a Tractor Supply on the NW side and southside. They usually carry Tylan which some people will give orally, although it is best in a shot. They carry Duramycin and may have some other meds. Dawg53 is right about culling if you don't want sick birds. Here is a list the common infections--look at MG and coryza on the list: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can call the Duval county Agricultural Extension office which is also the University of Florida IFAS Extension 904-255-7450 and ask if you can speak to someone about getting info on having your sick birds tested.
    There's a poultry lab in Live Oak: 386-330-5700.
    You can also contact the University of Georgia vet med school in Tifton, Georgia. They'll be glad to help you out.
    Of course you dont have to have them tested....they can go bye bye.... bury them deep.
    I've been to TSC on the NW side, they dont have squat for chickens as far as meds go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by