1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick/hurt call duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckduck, Sep 12, 2008.

1. duckduck

duckduck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Trussville, AL
    I have a young (6-8 mos old) female call duck. She and her buddy hang out around the barn and they are just pets. Well for the past couple of days she has been staying in the tall grass and just being very still. Her friend would be out grazing around and swimming in his pool but she was acting odd. Today I found her lying on her back unable to right herself. She is very incoordinated and can't walk. She seems alert but just can't make her body do what she wants it to. I see no injuries. Please any advice anyone can offer is much appreciated.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im not sure what could be wrong. Could she have gotten in to something poisonius (sp?)? You didnt use Sevin dust on her, right? That can be deadly to ducks.

3. duckduck

duckduck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Trussville, AL
    No we have lots of different animals and we don't use ANY poison. I am very upset. Raised this lil one up from just hatched. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by