Sick / Hurt Hen, stomped by dog, what to do?

petey2

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
Chicago, IL
Hey all, so one of my hens was “attacked” by one of my dogs last week Thursday. I say “attacked” because it was more like a stomping, with some pulling of feathers. I was present when it happened so I was able to stop the dog almost immediately. She seemed to be fine aside from being shaken up with a very slight limp. The next day (Friday) I noticed a good amount of yellow/white pasty poop stuck to her butt. I managed to give her a bath inside and blow dry her off.

I have seen green blobs (bile?) in her poop since the incident. Also since Thursday she has been given water with probiotics, electrolytes, vitamins & lactobacillus. She has not been very eager to eat but is managing to do so. I had to start giving her a separate bowl of food away from the other three because they weren’t letting her eat :( which has never happened in my flock.

Today was the first day since Thursday that she decided to come out and forage with the rest of the girls. She is fairly slow, her tail is down a lot more than usual and she is taking naps in the middle of the yard (another first). I saw her poop today but only a glob/sting of what I think is bile. Should I be worried? I do not have access to a vet that sees chickens :(

Attachments

• 877A8F81-F239-4349-AABC-EC70092731E4.jpeg
    877A8F81-F239-4349-AABC-EC70092731E4.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 2897E8DF-B588-4595-B347-7E51B2A26CBD.jpeg
    2897E8DF-B588-4595-B347-7E51B2A26CBD.jpeg
    906.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 656EE9CC-85E9-4FD7-B453-2AC65501153A.jpeg
    656EE9CC-85E9-4FD7-B453-2AC65501153A.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 5
There's a possibility that her organs were bruised from the stomping. She may still be in shock from the attack, as well. Did the electrolytes include glucose? If you are doubtful, give her some sugar in her water today.

If you have an antibiotic, it might be wise to give it to her in case inflammation in the tissue have triggered bacterial infection. If you have no antibiotics on hand, turmeric can act as an anti-inflammatory. You can get it where they sell people vitamins.

Additional vitamin E may help, too. Give it to her with scrambled egg.

There's a possibility that her organs were bruised from the stomping. She may still be in shock from the attack, as well. Did the electrolytes include glucose? If you are doubtful, give her some sugar in her water today.

If you have an antibiotic, it might be wise to give it to her in case inflammation in the tissue have triggered bacterial infection. If you have no antibiotics on hand, turmeric can act as an anti-inflammatory. You can get it where they sell people vitamins.

Would powdered turmeric work?

I agree with all of this ☝️

Only thing to add - when was her last egg? If she's usually a consistent layer and hasn't laid an egg since the incident, I'd also give her extra Calcium for a few days to see if she's having trouble with an egg, a membrane, etc. Calcium Citrate with D3 would be good to give, 1 tablet daily. Just pull down on the wattles and pop the tablet into the beak. Let her swallow.
I hope she improves.

thank you! she seems to be on the road to recovery. she is a little more eager to eat and drink, however her limp does seem to be bugging her. I will check today to see if the supplements i’ve been using contain glucose. I will be giving her some turmeric as well. thanks again

so yesterday marked a week since the attack. she is pretty much not mobile at this point, she can hobble but prefers not to. she had been coming out of the coop up until yesterday & today. she didn’t want to come out but she did however eat and drink throughout the day. her poop is still pretty runny down her butt, white and pasty :/

so yesterday marked a week since the attack. she is pretty much not mobile at this point, she can hobble but prefers not to. she had been coming out of the coop up until yesterday & today. she didn’t want to come out but she did however eat and drink throughout the day. her poop is still pretty runny down her butt, white and pasty :/
Have you been giving the calcium supplement daily?

Have you been giving the calcium supplement daily?
yes, extra calcium along with some rosemary in her food to hopefully help inflammation. today she still has no urge to get up, however we just got hit with a pretty bad storm with lots of rain, and temps are now back around 40F.

she is however getting used to our little routine of her being fed and given water separately in the coop once the other three are foraging. she is still very eager to eat.

her poop looked much better today. solid, mostly brown with a slight yellow tint, I probably wouldn’t have looked twice at it otherwise. Im only sure it was hers because when i lifted her tail to check her vent I watched it come out 🙃

i guess at this point all im just hoping she can recover to the point of having a decent life after this. the other three aren’t picking on her, I wouldn’t mind if she retired and just hung out all day. i’ve felt awful about this whole thing, my animals are my life. have taken precautions to make sure the dogs have 0 access to the flock now. will keep you all posted

edit: didn’t mention the vitamins electrolytes probiotics etc continued

Back
Top Bottom