Sick/Injured Chicken will not eat or drink!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gryphonica, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Gryphonica

Gryphonica New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    The cerebral cortex.
    I have a three year old Production Black. She is limping on her right leg,and is very lethargic. She refuses all food and water except for cheese and some apple. Please help!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Has she ever been wormed? What is her crop like (check it in the morning, it should be empty then)? Does she have any other symptoms (thinness, swollen abdomen, nasal discharge, diahrrea, etc.)? To make a more accurate diagnosis, more information is needed.

I would isolate her in a warm, clean place. Feed her whatever she'll eat, and try to get her to drink water (maybe with some vitamins/electrolytes in it), too. I would worm her with a broad-spectrum wormer, like Valbazen, SafeGuard, or the Worminator (contains Flubendazole, and is what I use) if she hasn't recently been wormed. Check her legs and foot for breaks, swelling, a black scab on the bottom of the foot, or anything else unusual. Its possible that she sprained her leg when jumping down from a rooster or something; in that case it will probably heal in time as long as she is given rest away from other birds.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Has she lost weight?

-Kathy

4. Gryphonica

Gryphonica New Egg

Aug 29, 2013
    The cerebral cortex.
    @BantamLover21No, she has not. Her crop was empty when I came home from work and saw her limping about. No other symptoms that are noticeable. She may have been stuck somewhere, but I found not evidence of that.To answer @casportpony's question, no, she has not lost any weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by