1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Japanese Bantam chick, Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paddock36, Mar 25, 2009.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have a black tailed white JB that is 3 weeks old today and within the past few days it has started acting weird. It isolates itself some from the other chicks, it just stands or sits there in the corner, sometimes with it's eyes closed and it doesn't seem that interested in food although I have seen it eat a little. They are on medicated food and I have some Terramycin that I just put in the water hoping that would help. Does any have and suggestions. Should I separate this chick from my other 5. I didn't realize these chicks were so hard to raise.

2. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    yup it is hard and yours probably wasnt vaccinated yet, once i got some form the local feeder store and werent vaccinated they all acted the same and they died at 1 month because they had worms....
    good luck to you

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I would research worms. There is a very sad story posted by JennsPeeps about the loss of her hen, "Dumpling", to roundworms. You don't want to go through that. A fecal sample examined by a vet can usually (not always) detect worms. Antibiotics won't help with anything but bacterial infection. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by