Sick Japanese bantam, comb color change... need advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jfrobinson, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jfrobinson

jfrobinson New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Having just lost a hen 2 weeks ago, I'm worried about my Japanese bantam (7 months old) that is acting listless. Also her comb has changed color, from red to a very dark red, almost dark violet. This happened about 3 to 4 weeks ago.

Any suggestions? She's eating but will just sit while the others forage, she's always been the shyest of the flock, but he's my son's favorite and he will be devastated if we lose her. She sits while the other forage, sometimes takes a nap in the yard, which is very unusual.

Any suggestions would be welcome, the other chicken that died I believe was egg bound, and was on the nest constantly before she died. This hen is not showing the same behavior.

Thanks,

JFR

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The color in the comb changing says that there is some sort of respiratory distress. Not getting enough oxygen can cause their combs to turn purple and not bright red. Sometimes you can see in broilers or birds that end up with acities, which is caused primarly by heart failure. Your bird is so young though, I am not sure what else to say. Hope she makes it.

3. jfrobinson

jfrobinson New Egg

Apr 20, 2008
    Thanks -- I'll take her to the vet ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by