Sick Japanese Bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Creed Bennett, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I have a Japanse Bantam that has a problem. She has a lump on face, nasal discharge and a watery eye all on the same side. The other side of her face is fine. She eats and drinks fine and she is as peppy as the rest of the chickens when it comes to trying to catch. I have put Sulmet in her water and isolated her from the rest of my birds. Did I do right or do I need to do something else. Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I had a bird with very similar symptoms that responded very well to Tylan 50 injected just under the skin at the back of the neck. A bantam needs just 0.25cc (ml is the same as cc) . Treated her for 3 days and she got completely better. For sure keep her away from your other birds in case she is contagious. I think it was a sinus infection with mine. None of the rest had these symptoms. Good luck.

3. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks chickengrl! I just got her Thursday. She is one of eleven assorted banties I bought. She and the rest of the birds have been in quarantine from my other birds since then. My wife and I were out tending to them yesterday and noticed that her eye was a little watery and today it looked like the picture I posted. On Thursday it was rainy, windy and in the 40's. They all looked fine when we picked the eleven birds out. The weather, the hour 1.5 hour trip back home and the stress probably has a lot to do with it. I also have a Polish that has a runny nose so I have her separated from the others. The other 9 are being treated with Sulmet in there drinking water just in case. I'll get some Tylan and give them some.
    Thanks A Bunch!!

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    That is definately a upper respiratory infection. As chickengrl said, Tylan is the normal treatment and should clear it up quickly. I just hope that the bird just picked it up and is not a carrier of something. The problem is that there is no way to tell for several weeks or months. I know, I should shut up. Sorry if I just gave you something else to worry about.

Matt

5. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks Matt! I just checked Tractor Supply website and they have Tylan. I'll go get some tomorrow. I also meant to say that that is food all over her beak and not uh snot. Both of the birds still eat and drink normally though the polish is not as lively. They are spending the night in the house with me tonight.

6. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Hey Chickengrl, what would the dosage be in a standard size bird, say a Rhode Island Red or Black Austrolorp? I was just wondering in the event that I have this come up again in my larger birds.
    My wife and I just got done cleaning their nostrils with a cotton swab and saline. We then went and put VetRX on a swab and wiped their nostrils out gently. We also put VetRX under their wings. I guess it can't hurt.
    Oh Chickengrl, you said to give .25cc and treat for three days. I just want to make sure that I am supposed to give her .25cc each day for the next three days in a row. Am I correct?

7. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    My two chickens seem better this morning from the treatment we gave them last night with the VetRX. I drove to town to get the Tylan and gave them their dosage. We'll see how things are in the morning.

8. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Oops, sorry just now getting online today. A large fowl bird would need 0.5 cc ( 1/2 cc). You can treat a full 5 days if 3 doesn't seem to do it. Just one injection per day. Some of these things are a virus and sometimes it may not help. But worth a try. I do hope that it isn't contagious. That 's a huge pain, and difficult to deal with. If the problem persists and you have a bird die, you can contact your state veterinarian for a necropsy. It is free in some states and pretty cheap for the rest. Just google for instance "Virginia state veterinarian" and you will get a contact. It's so difficult when you bring in adult birds. There are so many respiratory diseases out there and just moving them and the stress of it seems to bring it out. Good luck!

9. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks Chickengrl!!

10. Creed Bennett

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Well I've been giving Tylan injections since Sunday. The lump on the side of her is still there and it looks to be the same size. She is eating and drinking fine. We have been giving the antibiotic injections in the morning along with cleaning her nostril with saline. After that we wipe the nostril with some VetRX and put some of it under her wing.
    The Polish chicken that was also acting like she was sick is doing fine. Her nostrils were clean this morning and she seems more active too. I might put her back outside with the other banties tomorrow. I just wish that knot would go down on my Japs face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by