sick jersey giant

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by soggy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. soggy

soggy In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Langley BC Canada
    Noticed today one of jerseys was very slow and lathargic. Droopy wings and bent over comb. Any ideas I've since quarantined her and she is drinking water occasionally [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat her for coccidiosis if she is having diarrhea. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, puffing up (which she is doing,) weakness, poor appetite, and diarrhea with mucus or with blood. Treatment in Canada is Amprol, Corid in the US for 5-7 days. You may have to get it from your vet in Canada, but I would start it right away, and treat all chickens. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days--give her some by syringe or dropper if she is not drinking. If you have or can make electrolytes, I would give her some in water, and dip her beak a few times. If egg binding could be a problem, check inside her vent 1-2 inches for a stuck egg, and post again if you feel one. Here is a link for Amprol: http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html

A couple of other things: how old is she, and have you wormed your flock recently?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. soggy

soggy In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Langley BC Canada
    I recently got 4 jersey giants from a farm down the road. I've had them about a month and they are at most 2 1/2 months old. I haven't recently treated for worms but had just started a mass clean out and upgrade of their coop. Deworming meds was on my shopping list for this week. Thanks so much for any advice and help you've given thus far. I hope she pulls through.

I recently learned that roosts Should be higher than nesting boxes and changed this around yesterday blocking off all nesting boxes. While loading up the roost a with chickens from the boxes I noticed on of my jerseys kept falling off the perch (looking back probably my sick hen). ..my daughter figures she didn't get enough sleep hahaha wish this was the case. Anyways not sure if this means anything regarding my sick hen but figured I'd add it incase it helped. I plan on checking her poop while keeping an eye on her. That might help with her diagnosis.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They are at the perfect age to have coccidiosis, and in changing homes, that can expose them to a new strain they have not been exposed to before. I would definitely treat with Amprol right away, since it is a thiamine inhibitor, not an antibiotic, and is pretty harmless. Once a chicken with cocci stops drinking, it is hard to get enough of the medication in them to help. With liquid Amprol/Corid, you can give 2 drops undiluted twice a day to kick start the medication.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: