Sick Keet or just odd?

vicknick

Songster
6 Years
Apr 25, 2016
7D77CEF2-DE47-4EE9-BA03-C9CC0D0D43A5.jpeg
16FBAAD5-A8E2-4AFC-A966-0AEBF91CAFEB.jpeg
This baby is going on 3 weeks old. He/she likes to sit on his/her feet while the other keets are popping around but only for the last few days. He preens and stands up to eat or drink but it takes him all day to fill his crop while the others are full within 45 min of me turning the light on and telling them good morning. I put him on my lap and he seems to only want to eat the tiniest pieces of the crumble - so I put some water with it and crumbled it more and he’s eating more now- And drinking when I hold the bowl for him.. he’s bright eyed and curious but in my lap he keeps lying like a chicken dustbathing. Does that mean he’s super comfy or sick??
E74632FB-1A36-4EB3-8BEB-B26AD9362CB4.jpeg
16FBAAD5-A8E2-4AFC-A966-0AEBF91CAFEB.jpeg
image.jpg
E74632FB-1A36-4EB3-8BEB-B26AD9362CB4.jpeg

Just likes laying on it's side. I have chicks do this.

You're lucky to have a friendly Guinea Keet. Mine would never allow snuggling.
All of them are pretty friendly - they’ll come and sit on my hand if I put it in their brooder or eat out of my hand, and if I put them in my lap they’ll settle down if I put my hand over their eyes for a second and don’t make any sudden moves. Some of them LOVE me though - I think they think I’m the mommy lol!!!
Thank you - I worry about anyone who is different I guess. He pooped a nice big poop while on my lap so clearly he is eating ok 🙄😂

All of them are pretty friendly - they’ll come and sit on my hand if I put it in their brooder or eat out of my hand, and if I put them in my lap they’ll settle down if I put my hand over their eyes for a second and don’t make any sudden moves. Some of them LOVE me though - I think they think I’m the mommy lol!!!
Thank you - I worry about anyone who is different I guess. He pooped a nice big poop while on my lap so clearly he is eating ok 🙄😂
Mine would just run, & scream if I did that. I had Guinea keets once, they're grown up now.

You're welcome.

View attachment 3188101View attachment 3188099This baby is going on 3 weeks old. He/she likes to sit on his/her feet while the other keets are popping around but only for the last few days. He preens and stands up to eat or drink but it takes him all day to fill his crop while the others are full within 45 min of me turning the light on and telling them good morning. I put him on my lap and he seems to only want to eat the tiniest pieces of the crumble - so I put some water with it and crumbled it more and he’s eating more now- And drinking when I hold the bowl for him.. he’s bright eyed and curious but in my lap he keeps lying like a chicken dustbathing. Does that mean he’s super comfy or sick??View attachment 3188098View attachment 3188099View attachment 3188100View attachment 3188098
Does the keet stand and walk normally?

Does the keet stand and walk normally?
Yes but he seems to prefer to sit or lie down. He stands to eat or drink and then goes back to his favorite spot to sit. The rest of them pop like popcorn but he does not. I wonder if he doesn’t like the sensation of bars under his feet? I’m going to give them playtime in the winter coop tomorrow during the day (sand bottom - no chickens since March or so when I put them in their summer tractor) and I’ll see if he gets perkier.

Yes but he seems to prefer to sit or lie down. He stands to eat or drink and then goes back to his favorite spot to sit. The rest of them pop like popcorn but he does not. I wonder if he doesn’t like the sensation of bars under his feet? I’m going to give them playtime in the winter coop tomorrow during the day (sand bottom - no chickens since March or so when I put them in their summer tractor) and I’ll see if he gets perkier.
The keet doesn’t sound normal, but hard to tell from this what’s going on. You might try some vitamins/probiotic supplements for it and see if it helps? Subclinical coccidiosis or leg issues are also considerations.

The keet doesn’t sound normal, but hard to tell from this what’s going on. You might try some vitamins/probiotic supplements for it and see if it helps? Subclinical coccidiosis or leg issues are also considerations.
Hopefully it’s not a big deal - I checked his legs and they seemed fine and he didn’t object when I poked and wiggled any more than the other babies objected when I looked at their legs for comparison - what would be the signs of subclinical coccidia? His poops are totally normal. He’s the only one like himself - the others are all small and grey or gray+ white or big and brown. He was born big - same size as the brown babies who were hatched several days prior - and I wonder if he’s just too heavy for his legs as yet? He was popcorning some this morning - but then he went to his perch to settle down as usual. I’m putting them out to play today so I can give their indoor cage a good scrub so I’ll see how he does on sand. He was pretty normal until I switched them to wire-bottom cage so I wonder if it hurts his feet… thanks for answering!

Hopefully it’s not a big deal - I checked his legs and they seemed fine and he didn’t object when I poked and wiggled any more than the other babies objected when I looked at their legs for comparison - what would be the signs of subclinical coccidia? His poops are totally normal. He’s the only one like himself - the others are all small and grey or gray+ white or big and brown. He was born big - same size as the brown babies who were hatched several days prior - and I wonder if he’s just too heavy for his legs as yet? He was popcorning some this morning - but then he went to his perch to settle down as usual. I’m putting them out to play today so I can give their indoor cage a good scrub so I’ll see how he does on sand. He was pretty normal until I switched them to wire-bottom cage so I wonder if it hurts his feet… thanks for answering!
Hopefully it will grow out of whatever is bothering it. Most of my keets that look subdued and sleepy as compared to their clutchmates have ended up succumbing to whatever ails them. I did have a 2 week old keet last year that looked ill but responded to high dose amprolium in water for coccidiosis. That keet did not have blood in stool. There are different types of coccidia that cause different types of disease, so some coccidial varieties do not cause obvious changes in stool.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Hopefully it will grow out of whatever is bothering it. Most of my keets that look subdued and sleepy as compared to their clutchmates have ended up succumbing to whatever ails them. I did have a 2 week old keet last year that looked ill but responded to high dose amprolium in water for coccidiosis. That keet did not have blood in stool. There are different types of coccidia that cause different types of disease, so some coccidial varieties do not cause obvious changes in stool.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry
Thank you - I'm going to go on ahead and put corid in the water for all of them just in case...

Back
Top Bottom