1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Keets!!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by GuineaLady93, Sep 17, 2011.

1. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Ok, my keets that hatched on 9/14-15 were walking, eating, drinking, and doing everything fine until last night when I saw One of them laying on his side and could not get up (like his feet were tied). I tried to get him to walk but it was like he couldn't hold his body up...like his head weight 10 pounds or something! Out of all the keets that I have hatched this year I have not seen one doing anything like this. Then, this morning when I got up there was another keet doing the same thing! Now if I sit there and hold them up they will stand on their feet and eat and drink just fine. When I let go they stand on their own for about a second and then it looks like they lose their balance a fall right over. They always fall on their head and then fall on their side. What in the world could be wrong with them?!?! They were just fine yesterday and are still eating and drinking (with my help).
    Has anyone ever seen this??? Do you know why it is happening???
    Thanks,
    Ashley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    have you been keeping up on the temp of the brooder?

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Mine did the same thing! I did a little autopsy on a couple of them and they were eating their wood shavings instead of their feed.
    I changed it immediatly and never did have any of the others die after I changed the bedding.

This was like a month or 2 ago and they are big and healthy and are on wood shavings again since they know what is food and what is not.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh no. I don't know the answer. But have you tried vitamins. Or electrolytes. I hope someone with more knowledge will post and help you. [​IMG] to you. I am so sorry.

5. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    I would change the bedding like ducklover1 said....no wood shavings.

6. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Oh, yeah their temp is good.

7. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow, ok I will definitely try to get some new bedding.
    Thank you

8. GuineaLady93

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    6 of my keets ended up dying.[​IMG]
    I couldn't believe that happened because I have used shaving forever and have never had any problems with them eating them.
    I dumped out the shavings and put pine straw instead and the others are doing great!
    Thanks for the help!
    Ashley

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

I lost a couple right after I switched to shavings.... Best to use that Rubbermaid shelf liner or Regular towels you have to wash.... or Grass hay with no seeds in it. I think Peeps uses the last.

10. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry for you loss. That is exactly why I DO NOT use wood shavings. I'm horrified of using that crap. I only use shelf liner and old rags that I wash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by