Sick Kiddo

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sune42, May 30, 2010.

1. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    So my youngest Violet, who will be two in August, is sick for the second time in about 1.5 months. She is both times had vomiting and a high fever. Last time she was sick for about a day and a half then was fine. My mom told me today that she woke up this morning and had thrown up. She has done it once since and has a fever. She is now taking a long nap. She has had no diarrhea, this time or last time.

My mother is the queen of internet illness diagnoses. She has googled and thinks that Violet has Campylobacter from my chickens.

My chickens are still in my bathroom, but the door is kept closed. Violet isn't aloud to hold the birds because she squeezes, but she has pet them a few times. Whenever we are done petting the birds we either wash our hands or use that sanitizer stuff. Is it possible to get Campylobacter from the air? Could it be something else from the chickens? Violet doesn't really spend a lot of time with them at all. My mother thinks when Violet was sick the last time I should have told the Dr. that we had chickens in the house.

What do you think internet? Is this something from my chickens? I know on this board we like to dispel the myths that chickens will kill you with a breath, but if y'all think it could be from the chickens, please let me know.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I suspect your Mom has the same syndrome my Mom had - too much informationitis. If it was on the internet or in Good Houskeeping magazine then it must be true. Her advice always began with "They say....". [​IMG]

There are many sources for Campylobacter, not to mention all the OTHER things it could be.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Campylobacter_Questions_and_Answers/index.asp I'd suspect the USDA has more concise info that Mom. But check it out.

When Violet has gotten ill, was she at Mom's house both times? THAT would bear looking into. Also food sources and preparation really leap out at me.

Hope she feels better asap.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    And I meant investigate other sources than chicken diseases - other kids, food prep, food sources, what other places does she eat.... endless possibilities.

4. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Ha! Isn't that the truth!?!

Quote:Interesting...I wonder if it's something she is feeding them? The first time she was sick was a Sunday night after I picked them up from her house. This time it's at her house. I don't think my mom is dirty, or cross contaminating stuff..I wonder if it's just something that doesn't agree with Vi.

Hmm, thanks for the info. Gives me something to think about.

ETA I had looked at that USDA link before I posted here. I had googled to see what she was talking about. That site made me think that it probably wasn't campylobacter. I think a baby with stomach cramps would be a lot more fussy and like I said no diarrhea. Mom said she was just kind of blah today. Which isn't like my Vi at all. Usually you can't keep her still. When she was sick the first time she cuddled with me for hours. She hasn't done that since I was her food source! I just hope she feels better soon.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  5. Aunt Bea

Aunt Bea Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Is Violet teething? Mine always spiked a fever with teething, even though doctors always phoo-phood the idea.

If the fever and vomiting don't last longer than 24 hours, then Violet's immune system is handling whatever is wrong. Kids can pick up all kinds of 'bugs' from all kinds of sources.

If she keeps a high fever longer than 24 hours, though, it may mean she has a infection of some kind that might need treating, i.e., an ear infection. When they are little like that it's hard for them to tell you what's hurting. I hope she gets better soon. [​IMG]

Aunt Bea

6. jendh

jendh Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Athens
    I'm in SE Ohio, not too far from you and we've had the same bug running around here for the last month. I can think of at least six kids (including 2 of my own) who've had it in the last few weeks. It's just a nasty little virus, don't panic. [​IMG] I sure hope she feels better soon!

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    a 2 year old will puke on command. Nothing to pin it on. Just hydrate, keep her diaper dry, wipe n lotion as necessary. Sick with a bug or not, lil ones are puke machines and your fav shirt is a puke magnet. 'nuff said

[​IMG]

8. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Quote:ditto, my almost 3yr old can go from perky to pukey in a drop of a hat LOL. it is her specialty.
    anywho,kids get sick.As much as it sucks it does happen.It is also possible she got reinfected with a virus or something from toys so spray them down with lysol and hope for the best.

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    You could...... just take her to see her pediatrician if all involved are really THAT concerned about your chickens? They could be easily ruled out and then your mom would be off your back. Tempting?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Fortunately neither my kids nor I inherited the puke gene [​IMG] Other things yes [​IMG] but not that. It's always been pretty rare in this house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by