Sick lady, what could it be?

MrGrit

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
I have a hen, shes about 1 year old. This morning I spotted her, separate her and give her some vitamins in her water. I looked up would it could be. not to sure from her symptoms what it is. I feel a feeling she will pass on today. This was the first day she really showed any symptoms. I was leaning towards fowl pox. She is not moving much at all. Falling asleep while standing. She is drinking. Her crop was hard first thing in the morning.

Attachments

• sick 1.jpg
    sick 1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 5
  • sick 2.jpg
    sick 2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 1
  • sick.jpg
    sick.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 1
shes gained a bit more energy since posting this. keeping an eye on her.

Doesn't look like she's feeling too well.
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid and look her over for lice/mites.

If her crop is hard, then monitor that to see if it's emptying overnight. I would give her 1 tsp coconut oil today and gently massage/manipulate the crop to see if it's hard because of fluid bloat or if it's impacted with food. Read the article linked to get more info about treating the crop. Do keep in mind that crop symptoms are usually due to an underlying condition. Keep us posted.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

i gave her some water massage her crop and the crop went down. I couldnt answer when she last laid an egg being that i have 70 layers. she is separated now so ill know if she is laying. it doesnt feel like she has an impacted egg when i was massaging her crop. she for sure looks ill no doubt. the good news is that the crop went down when massaging. It was for sure food in her crop, it was hard, the size of a golf ball. it wassnt fluid as i have dealt with sour crop b4. no smelly discharge. I did get his to let up some water from her crop but the food went into her gizzard rather than coming up.

Back
Top Bottom