Sick Leghorn Hen ? internal laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToFarming, Jan 10, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I have a 7 month old brown leghorn hen that started to show signs of not feeling well Friday night. She was moving slowing and laid in the corner of the coop and not in her usual spot on the perch. I noticed on Saturday morning that she had some yellow goo on her bottom. I brought her inside on Saturday to keep a better eye on her. She didn’t eat at all and seemed tired on saturday. She did have a normal color poo but it was a bit more runny. Later that same night I had seen her expelled some watery clear to white stuff. I also started her on Duramycin. Sunday evening she has picked up more and ate some yogurt mixed w/ chick feed and some scratch. I am also putting vitamins in her water.
    She is a leghorn and is very flighty so checking her out has been difficult and I didn’t wat to stress her out too much at first. I have been reading up on internal laying and am thinking this could be happening to her.
    I have been reading posts on this and was wondering if there is anything else I could be doing? This might be a dumb question but how do you check the vent to make sure it is clear and she doesn’t have an egg stuck or something. Any advice would be great especially for a flighty chicken like this! Even when she was well, she would act like I was some sort of hideous monster or something! LOL
    It is hard to say if she has ever laid before. I have 7 hens of laying age and the most eggs I ever got in one day were 6. But I know the other leghorn hens her exact same age are laying for sure.

2. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Any ideas on anything else I should be doing or looking for? I might attempt a warm bath for her tonight but I am sure it will be a challenge.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Once you get her into the warm water she'll probably relax for you, I haven't had to deal with this but I know that if she's egg bound warm soaks, dry her real good after put a towel over her head and she'll calm right down then use a hair dryer to dry her on low heat. you can also put her in a quiet room on a heating pad on low with towels covering the pad. also towels warmed in the dryer will work. make sure she has acsess to water and food. You can also put a mashed up tums in her water for extra calcium. Do you give them extra calcium in the form of oyster shell? I wouldn't poke around too much inside her vent so as to not break the egg if there is one.

4. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks for your reply. She really perked up and is doing alot better. She started to eat and drink and wanted the heck out of her cage. LOL She also had started to have normal poo so I am hoping things will continue to go well for her.
    I did put her back in the coop with the others but will continue to keep a close eye on her. She was so happy to get out and about.
    Yes, I do have Oyster shell available at all times for the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by