Sick Leghorn?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Autumnchickens, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Autumnchickens

Autumnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    My brown leghorn hen is about 1 & a half years old, her comb kind of pale and extremely droopy. Her ears have a yellow tint to them. She does not act very out of the ordinary, but use to be a bit more energetic. Does anyone know if there might be anything wrong with her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am not an authority on white earlobes turning yellow in the fall, but my ancona gets yellow earlobes every year during and after her molt in fall. Another BYCer had a leghorn that did this, and we discussed it, and he was convinced it was a problem. My ancona is related to leghorns, and after she did it for 3 straight years, I think it is just a normal thing. Combs can flop over in normal chickens, and I think it can happen in dehydrated chickens, so I would just look at her to make sure that she is acting normal, eating and drinking. As daylight hours decrease in the winter, chickens can kind of take a break and become paler. It might not hurt to add some SaveAChick or other electrolytes and vitamins to her water for several days. Offer a little chopped egg or tuna just make sure that she is getting some extra protein.

3. Autumnchickens

Autumnchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Florida
    Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure if there was anything wrong with her or not, but since these are the first chickens I have ever had I decided to ask, I've actually been in the pen all day since I woke up bc I was splitting it in half to make more room for my new chickens I got about 5 months ago (eggs hopefully coming soon), and she seemed to be eating and drinking like normal, she didn't do this last year, and my white leghorn I got at the same time isn't doing this, but your probably right, it's probably nothing to worry about.

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    My white leghorns comb looks like that all the time except when she's molting. Then it gets smaller.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by